starting reception and tiredness

(21 Posts)
IamAporcupine Sun 17-Jul-16 19:32:13

was starting reception a big change re. how tired they got?
DS is used to long days at nursery/pre-school as I work full time, but I am wondering if reception will get him even more tired? He's more than ready and eager to start writing/learning, so I would not think that would be a problem but the whole new setting might tired him anyway?
any experiences? smile

irvineoneohone Sun 17-Jul-16 19:48:55

My ds used to attend nursery 9-3, 5 days a week.
He had no problem adjusting to school , and he had extra clubs etc after school as well. He never seemed tired at all.

donkir Sun 17-Jul-16 19:55:58

I've worked in childcare for 17 years and have found those that do full sessions in private nurserys tend to cope better with school.

sirfredfredgeorge Sun 17-Jul-16 20:08:17

DD had never done full days in nursery, just four hours at most, Summer baby, she was never tired either. 8:30pm earliest she ever went to bed. By now she's rarely asleep before 10:30. Had plenty of energy for after school activities.

EarthboundMisfit Sun 17-Jul-16 20:13:10

Mine went to Reception from 5 morning sessions at nursery. They were only tired for the first full week, and not dreadfully so.

scrivette Sun 17-Jul-16 20:15:15

Summer born DS had only done half days at Pre School and coped surprisingly well. He wasn't as tired as I had expected although he went to bed early but was definitely ready for the half term break.

ChablisTyrant Sun 17-Jul-16 20:21:37

My DD was surprisingly tired for the first couple of months, even though one of the oldest and had done nursery days to 3:30. I think it was all the adrenaline from the excitement and newness. They let us pick up from school early whenever we wanted up to Xmas and we took advantage a few times. But by half term she was completely fine.

bojorojo Sun 17-Jul-16 20:25:59

Children are all different. If she is not napping at nursery, I don't see why she would be tired at school. Some are, but mine, both summer born, were anything but!!!

TotalConfucius Sun 17-Jul-16 20:26:30

That halcyon first week of full days, the sweet little cuteys falling asleep into their supper and in bed by 6.30pm, not a peep till 7.30 the next morning. Then they got used to the new routine.
This morning I got "I'm going to be 15 soon Mother. I don't think you should be setting bedtimes on school nights when I'm in Year 10. None of my friends have school night bedtimes."

poocatcherchampion Sun 17-Jul-16 20:36:23

My dd is still a day napper a few times a week. She will be on her knees. She will get there.

I'm not too worried as she is a keen learner so that should offset it somewhat.

Sleeperandthespindle Sun 17-Jul-16 20:44:54

My DD only went to preschool part time and also had a nanny part time. (I worked mornings)She was an August baby and still struggles with tiredness in year 2.

DS has been in full time nursery/ preschool/ childminder for a year. He's just 4 and has no problems with tiredness. I'm sure he'll be fine in school.

Very different experiences, but I think more down to the child than the setting. DD wouldn't have coped with full time, so I didn't work full time then.

IamAporcupine Sun 17-Jul-16 21:03:09

many thanks everyone

RiverTam Sun 17-Jul-16 21:05:38

DD was so not tired by starting school that after a term I had her signed up to three different after school activities. It didn't make any difference grin. She'd been at nursery 3 days a week, 8-6 for nearly 3 years. Stopped napping a good 2 years before starting school.

Chickpeachick0 Sun 17-Jul-16 21:11:15

River sounds like my dd! We also used to walk everywhere and she still wasn't worn out ! 8 years
On she still works and plays hard , but is rarely exhausted !

redskytonight Sun 17-Jul-16 23:15:17

My experience was that everyone told me how tired DS would be when he started Reception, I deliberately made no after school plans, and he was bouncing off the walls by the end of the week he had so much energy.

although I agree with the PP who said "it depends" I think if your child is used to full days at nursery they will probably take it in their stride.

gumbrilla Mon 18-Jul-16 01:42:56

We we're worried about it, we moved her up from part time nursery to full-time a couple of days a week to get her ready. In the end it was a fine. Grumpy as anything when coming home if she was tired though!

StripeyPens Mon 18-Jul-16 09:48:30

My DD found it very tiring. I had thought about going away in half term but I'm glad I didn't. She practically slept the whole time, and she had been at nursery 4 long days as well.

The reception illnesses didn't help either, although it might have been because she was so tired.

I learned that hometime snacks are a must, didn't push homework (thankfully her teacher was very easygoing) and I was quite happy to let her have one or two duvet days.

She absolutely loved school though.

noramum Mon 18-Jul-16 10:16:44

I agree, it really depends on the child.

DD (July born) went to nursery four full days but still liked to nap at the weekend. She was tired at the end of the day but I think it had a lot to do with the new surroundings, doing more things independent (teacher + TA for 30 children compared to 1 nursery staff to 8 children) and also a new routine with her childminder.

We kept things easy, didn't do anything on my day off until after Christmas. By then she was ready to roll.

BathshebaDarkstone Mon 18-Jul-16 10:23:28

All of mine crashed after school for the first 2 years. DS2 is just finishing reception now, I can see him still needing a nap after school in September.

Tigresswoods Mon 18-Jul-16 10:25:02

We were in the same situation as you. DS never seemed more tired. He did get more grumpy towards the end of term but never slept any longer!

You'll all be fine.

CalypsoValdez Mon 18-Jul-16 10:47:15

Depends entirely on the child. DS went from half days at nursery to school and was shattered for most of the first two terms. DD however went from being at home to full time school without doing nursery and bounced out of school at the end of each day still full of energy. She never even had the end of term tiredness that is so common. Play it by ear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now