Talk

Advanced search

Scaled scores at KS1 - how do they work?

(12 Posts)
noblegiraffe Fri 15-Jul-16 18:50:58

I understand that a scaled score of 100 means that the pupil has met expectations, but I'm assuming it's not like a normal bell curve where about 50% of people are under 100.

Do we know what percentage of students met the expectations for each section? Are the test results sent off or just teacher assessment? Will there be league tables of KS1 results or will it just be used for progress to KS2.

If a pupil gets 115 scaled score at KS1, are they then expected to get 120 at KS2 to make expected progress, or has that all not been worked out yet?

ColdAsIceCubes Fri 15-Jul-16 18:55:16

My dd2 didn't get a scaled score for ks1 sats, just a code to say working towards expected. My dd1 did get scaled scores for ks2, as well as codes for teacher assessment.

Hobbybaker Fri 15-Jul-16 19:06:44

Yeah, I'm trying to find the answer to this. My dd got her results today for KS2 SATS. Her scaled scores were as follows:

Spag 113
Reading 115
Maths 112

It says on the letter that the scale runs between 80 and 120, with 100 being the expected standard, but I can't figure out if that means my dd achieved above the expected standard, or not, as her outcome states AS for each one (AS stands for achieved standard).

Surely, if 100 is expected, then 115 would be working above expected, when 120 is the maximum score?
Can someone please explain how it works to me and help me to understand. Thanks.

ColdAsIceCubes Fri 15-Jul-16 19:09:48

On my dd1 report it said it considered any child that scored above 110 as working above, however it could only mark them as having achieved the standard and not working above.

mrz Fri 15-Jul-16 19:34:42

Since the scaled scores aren't used for assessing in this way the school needs to review their procedure

nonicknameseemsavailable Sun 17-Jul-16 06:50:47

I think KS2 are between 80 and 120 and I think KS1 are between 85 and 115, could be wrong but I know KS1 stop at 115.

for KS1 whilst they can give you the marks they got in the tests it must be remembered that KS1 results are teacher assessed. the tests only inform part of that. If a child clearly isn't demonstrating being a certain level in their work throughout the year then teachers will have to go with their evidence (which takes them hours from what I have seen) from the year and therefore the test result might not really match the teachers end of year opinion if that makes sense.

chamenager Sun 17-Jul-16 10:47:22

As far as I have gathered, the KS1 SATS test results aren't collected anywhere.

The teacher assessments (which are in part based on the test results) are what is collected and published. But as far as I know, the teacher assessment does not include a scaled score. So any analysis would show e.g. 60% of children met the expected standard (teacher assessed) and e.g. 15% achieved 'greater depth'. But we'll never know how many children scored e.g. 110 scaled score, as this data does not exist.

mzS1990 Sun 17-Jul-16 11:08:24

I'm really confused with it all. My sons said 'working towards...' Etc. No graph. No place in the year. Very confusing

noblegiraffe Sun 17-Jul-16 11:14:24

Interesting that the scaled scores aren't collected. Presumably the scaled score boundaries were set by the pilots in April/May - why would they not want to collect the data to see how it turned out?

How will the scales be set next year, will there be more pilots? confused

And if the scaled scores aren't collected, then how are they going to work out progress to KS2 for the league tables?

mrz Sun 17-Jul-16 14:06:15

Because the test results are only used as evidence for teacher assessment not as a summative assessment

mrz Sun 17-Jul-16 14:07:09

Progress between KS1 and KS2 is based on KS1 teacher assessment which is reported

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 17-Jul-16 15:02:59

This blog seems to be the best that I have found so far. If you look down towards the bottom there is a section entitled 'spread of data'. It gives the percent of students in the sample getting each grade. It looks somewhat left skewed with a few peaks but approximately normal. It is based so far on 50 schools who have volunteered their data on nearly 3000 students. They think that the schools volunteering data have performed slightly better than average, so any comparison is likely to be a slight underestimate of your child's ability.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now