Talk

Advanced search

Primary school report

(19 Posts)
Greyerish Mon 11-Jul-16 22:43:47

Hi all, my dd is in year 3. We received a letter from her school last Friday saying she had 135 in English and 126 in maths. What does this mean? We are foreigner although she was born here. Thank you

BackforGood Mon 11-Jul-16 23:00:30

Doesn't mean anything to me, and I'm both a teacher and a parent . I think you are going to have to go in, email, or ring the school if there's not an accompanying explanation.

Greyerish Tue 12-Jul-16 07:01:07

Its a state primary and it says working at deeper depth at expected standard. We are planning for 11+ and all schools in our area either private or grammar are super selective. I am worrying that she doesnt stand a chance

mouldycheesefan Tue 12-Jul-16 09:27:03

Why are you worried if you haven't a clue what the numbers mean? Would you not ask school if ypu were worried?

OkLumberjack Tue 12-Jul-16 09:28:57

Every school uses a different assessment method now (although some schools adopt the same as others it's not standard across the board).

You'll have to go in.

BerriesandLeaves Tue 12-Jul-16 09:29:06

Working at deeper depth sounds like above average.

OkLumberjack Tue 12-Jul-16 09:29:50

Yes, our school has a term 'working at greater depth' which means above average.

Floggingmolly Tue 12-Jul-16 09:32:21

Are you serious? How can the words "working at greater depth than expected" make you worry she doesn't stand a chance?
Have a stealth boast if you wish but don't be effing ridiculous.

TeenAndTween Tue 12-Jul-16 11:56:35

flogging I think you are being rude. The OP has stated they are foreign so understanding of English could be poor.

Floggingmolly Tue 12-Jul-16 12:02:50

Possibly. It comes across as extremely disingenuous, but I apologise if I misread it.

BerriesandLeaves Tue 12-Jul-16 12:09:45

When my dds were in reception 100 was the average. Best to check with school though.

Greyerish Tue 12-Jul-16 12:14:26

There are more than a week left with the school for this year and I know she is doing well. I dont know how well(what does it mean related to 135 and 126 scoring) in terms of if she wants to give it a go for some super selective secondary schools. We have heard of many scary stories about children who are doing well and still need hours of tutoring to be able to pass 11+/entrance exam. With these scores, do we need a tutor from year 4 as everyone else? Or we can delay it until year 5 when it could be late for some. (P/S:I dont ever think there is a point boasting in here when we all dont know each other at all)

irvineoneohone Tue 12-Jul-16 12:14:27

I think for us foreigners, English school system can seem quite complicated.
Until I joined MN, I really haven't got a clue about a lot of things. And It's difficult to ask in real life.
Actually, I had one of my English mum friend asked me what all these new report system means, even it was clearly explained on the letter.
I would have been lost without MN for sure.

iMatter Tue 12-Jul-16 16:48:00

Google standardised scores.

Those are very good - way up at the top.

leccybill Tue 12-Jul-16 16:49:58

We haven't even had our report yet- I'm getting a bit twitchy, it feels late!

ChicagoBull Fri 15-Jul-16 20:13:42

At our school that would be a very high score
140 is the max 100 is average

ChicagoBull Fri 15-Jul-16 20:15:22

110 is apparently the score at which teachers would expect a child to be able to pass the 11+
That said if it would give her confidence do a few past papers

EnoughOfTheFootball Fri 15-Jul-16 20:17:58

We also use age standardised scores at our school, 100 is average, expected for the end of year is between 85 and 115, so those scores are very high and well above expected.

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Mon 18-Jul-16 12:10:14

Is it Nfer tests? Our school use those and 140is top mark. Their website explains the scores.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now