Talk

Advanced search

So ds11 is one of the 47% that has failed his SATS tests.....

(5 Posts)
Dickorydockwhatthe Mon 11-Jul-16 18:53:09

I am not at all surprised but I'm annoyed as his results show nothing other then he has failed. It does not measure the progress he has made or is making. Despite his difficulties he has worked his sock off for these exams and to find out he has failed and will have to retake them in year is disheartening. I mean will he have to keep taking them until he passes?? It's absolutely rediculous :-(

BetweenTwoLungs Mon 11-Jul-16 19:02:26

He won't have to resist them - that doesn't start until next year.

I'm a Year 6 teacher and the tests were incredibly difficult. Our children received their results today and I stressed to them that this measured their ability on some very particular skills on one particular morning. There are so many skills it does not test. You know the progress he has made - focus on that. Were you given his scores?

He's not alone and I doubt what these tests have actually measured, if anything at all.

BatmanLovesMarmite Mon 11-Jul-16 19:03:20

Tell me about it.

I have to explain to some parents tomorrow why their child is not at ARE.

I feel like a failure, like I have let them and their children down.

He will not have to retake them though. That starts with next year's Year 6.

Dickorydockwhatthe Mon 11-Jul-16 19:12:21

Yes he did get the scores 80 for reading, 90 maths and 88. He has speech and language difficulties which effects his processing so really struggles at school. I just feel year 6 has been a complete let down. He was never going to pass so the time spent should have been on supporting him to improve not prepare for a test. I bet the talk tomorrow will be did you pass or fail in the playground.

BetweenTwoLungs Mon 11-Jul-16 19:29:25

He will have made some good progress this year - the things on the test are skills they do need (if we ignore the grammar...). I agree it is so frustrating for them though. I told my class today that it is very rude to ask another what they have scored, I hope they do listen to that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now