Talk

Advanced search

How often do Year 4 children use a computer at school?

(17 Posts)
angelsraiding Sat 09-Jul-16 20:47:31

Just benchmarking. Not very often at all in our case, but wondering if other schools are the same.

Primaryteach87 Sat 09-Jul-16 20:57:30

I've taught year 4 in two schools. In one, they had an ICT lesson once every other week. In the other it was when/if the laptops were free and working (which was rare!).

So quite a bit of variation but not often.

RueDeWakening Sat 09-Jul-16 22:02:37

DD has an ICT lesson once a week, afaik that's it.

teacherwith2kids Sat 09-Jul-16 22:04:45

Where I work, every class has a computing lesson of 50-60 minutes once a week.

There are also class sets of laptops and tablets, which vary in their use but would probably be used by a class maybe once a fortnight on average?

MaddyHatter Sat 09-Jul-16 22:08:42

i think they have an actual ICT lesson once a week, but there are computers in the classroom they use daily.

my DS has SN and uses it several times a day.

Convenientflush Sun 10-Jul-16 00:29:06

All the time. DD does a lot of writing on a laptop in literacy, and uses an ipad in maths. They've used PowerPoint to make presentations. And they have IT lessons too.

Hulababy Sun 10-Jul-16 00:35:16

No idea how our junior school works it but I work in infants and take most of the commuting lessons across EYFS and KS1.

We have one dedicated computing lesson a week. This may be using computers or iPads depending on our topic that half term. We focus a lot of the coding and control side of things.

We then have some iPads and each class gets two sessions a week (15 iPads per set) to use with their class teachers in the classroom. They are used for various reasons.

Galena Sun 10-Jul-16 08:43:52

We have laptops which we are timetabled for once a week. Sometimes we don't use them, but we usually do.

RustyBear Sun 10-Jul-16 09:02:37

At the junior school where I work, we have 16 PCs in the computer suite, two trolleys containing 16 laptops each which can be booked and 30 iPad2s, which can also be booked. Each class has a Computing lesson each week, including learning coding, control & monitoring, data collection & use and esafety. They use the laptops in the classroom for research, maths, word processing and various online activities and the iPads mainly for Internet and media stuff, such as making stop motion animations and short videos, or using the Book Creator app to make their own books which can be published via iBooks.

DesolateWaist Sun 10-Jul-16 09:10:13

Children should be being taught programming according to the national curriculum. I would expect them to have a direct programming lesson once a week and then to be using computers for other projects a couple of times a week.

The big problem though is the running and maintenance of laptops and computers.

I teach in a big primary school and we have over 100 laptops for the children and about 50 iPads. Then you have all the teachers computers, office computers and the whole wifi network. Keeping that lot running is a full time job. Fortunately in our school we employ someone to do just that, many schools however have the time of just one person for half a day.

Euphemia Sun 10-Jul-16 19:38:14

Once or twice a week in our school of 70 pupils, with 12 laptops and two iPads for the whole school.

Hulababy Sun 10-Jul-16 22:28:26

Weekly coding isn't required as the computing curriculum includes more than just coding. It does form a good chunk of the computing curriculum true (more than 50%) but there is a fair bit of other stuff to cover too. And even some coding can be cross curricular and be done in computers or iPads; in lower key stage 2 some coding can be done offline also

Hulababy Sun 10-Jul-16 22:28:27

Weekly coding isn't required as the computing curriculum includes more than just coding. It does form a good chunk of the computing curriculum true (more than 50%) but there is a fair bit of other stuff to cover too. And even some coding can be cross curricular and be done in computers or iPads; in lower key stage 2 some coding can be done offline also

Hulababy Sun 10-Jul-16 22:29:51

Teachnottech Tue 12-Jul-16 11:34:18

I teach in a small school (under 100 kids. We have enough working laptops for 1 between 2, and class set of ipads). My class have an ICT lesson once a week, a day where ipads/laptop are allocated to the class when we do almost everything on ipads. I'm also truly awful for saying, "is the ipad trolley there? Ask Mrs Z if she wants them just now if not grab an ipad and research that/blog this/take photos of that work and upload to class cloud/type that up - remember to share with me"

noramum Tue 12-Jul-16 14:23:09

DD has an IT room with enough laptops for each child. They have ICT lessons once a week and also use the room for other lessons (mainly research or doing a piece of writing by Power Point instead of handwriting).

We also have ipads but not enough for a whole class so they are used when working in small groups.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 12-Jul-16 14:25:20

Two or three times a week in my ds's case: they have one IT lesson where they do coding and it gets used at random other times.

With dd, two years ago in another school, it was far more rarely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now