urgent help for school recommendations in Kensington & Chelsea

(3 Posts)
trubot Sat 09-Jul-16 14:49:40

Hi
I just found out that I am being transferred from Sydney to London in August and am desperately trying to sort out schools for my two boys (aged 5 1/2) and 2 1/2). They are both bright and athletic. I would love to hear some recommendations as to the top schools in Kens. Chelsea for their age groups. I don't mind having to go out of this zone to get the right school.
thanks so much

RueDeWakening Sat 09-Jul-16 20:39:45

Are you looking for private (paid for) schools or state (free) schools? School in the UK starts the September after your child's 4th birthday, you'll need a nanny/nursery/childminder for your 2 1/2 year old - even preschool doesn't usually start until they're 3. If a state school, it's likely you won't be able to apply for a place until you have a local address, also there probably won't be much if any choice as there's a legal max of 30 per class until they're 7/8 years old and schools are likely to be full - if they are, you'll be given either a localish school with a space, or allocated an already full school who will accept an additional child.

Your 5 1/2 year old will likely be due to start year 1 in September, have they been at school at home this year? (Am clueless about Aus system, sorry!)

Will your company pay for an education consultant to ease things for you? I know my friend had access to one when they relocated to the US and she found it helpful.

Good luck with the move!

Yolande7 Sat 09-Jul-16 22:44:09

Bousfield and Fox are the top state primary schools in Kensington & Chelsea. Fox is higher up in the ranking, but Bousfield is easier to get into as they have very high mobility. Even if you got a different school allocated for your 5 year old, if you lived close enough to Bousfield you would most likely be able to transfer within the first year. Bousfield is an excellent school, I highly recommend it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now