Talk

Advanced search

Summer Reading suggestions, please.

(5 Posts)
resipsa Fri 08-Jul-16 17:11:00

DD is 5 and at the end of YR. She's taken to reading well and I want to maintain the momentum over the summer. She's going to take part in the library's reading challenge. Can anyone recommend suitable books for her to try which are age/ability appropriate? She's coming to the end of ORT Stage 6 so (I assume) will start YR1 on Stage 7. TIA.

TeenAndTween Fri 08-Jul-16 17:32:03

We are past ORT so can't help there. However ...

I would just go to the library and pick out some early readers that you think are on a level with what she's reading and that look interesting.

Go sooner rather than later as they tend to be borrowed (at least at our library).

Or if she likes the school books, see if you can accidentally acquire some to borrow over the summer.

catkind Fri 08-Jul-16 18:45:13

Try the early readers section, but also try the picture book section. Around stage 6-7 was where DS was able to have a good hash at normal picture books. What does she like being read to her? That might be good for some more concrete suggestions. My two loved things like Charlie and Lola, Winnie the Witch, Elmer.

Dixiechickonhols Fri 08-Jul-16 18:53:12

I did reading chest for 2 months over summer when DD was end of yr r. She loved getting the books by post. Yes they are reading scheme books but they were the right level and different schemes to the ones at school. Did the library challenge too. My dd's reading really took off.

irvineoneohone Fri 08-Jul-16 19:23:40

If you log in to the summer reading challenge website, there's book suggestion section. You can pick from age, gender, interest etc. and search, then lots of book title comes up. You can review books you read, and also see comments from other children as well. It's a real fun.
Even after the challenge, the website stays, and you can keep adding books you read, and keep getting badge for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now