Talk

Advanced search

Child visiting new school

(6 Posts)
nothappymummy2014 Fri 08-Jul-16 06:33:38

We are looking to move child to a new school, child has a statement of special educational needs. We have visited the school and process is underway to move child to the new school. We would like our child to visit the new school before the end of term.

How do we handle this with her current school? Will they give permission for her to take time off to visit new school or will this go down as unauthorised absence? At what point should we inform current school that we are looking to move her.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 08-Jul-16 07:17:52

I can't speak for all school, but we moved cross country inter-year and took our DD1 out of school for a day to visit her new school ahead of starting there, the head was happy to authorise it.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 08-Jul-16 07:20:56

Oh just realised you said they don't know you plan to move her.

If your plans are as advanced as you think, I can't see her current school not knowing for much longer as new school will contact them for information.

I'd email the head, outlining your decision to move her and tell her you'll be taking her to visit her new school on x date as it is important for her to see her new school prior to moving, and you would appreciate her support on this. If she then comes back and says she won't authorise the absence; she is the unreasonable one, not you.

SisterViktorine Fri 08-Jul-16 07:30:00

Presumably your casework officer has already been in touch with both schools, as the new school will have to be named on the statement/ EHCP.

hels71 Fri 08-Jul-16 07:49:20

My DD is moving schools in September. When I filled in the paperwork I had to state that I had discussed the move with her current headteacher and giving my reasons for moving. He then had to fill in the form saying that we had discussed it and that he supported the move and agreed with my reasons for moving ( he did not agree but there we are!) . So in our LEA you would need to discuss a move before filling in the paperwork..

nothappymummy2014 Fri 08-Jul-16 20:59:01

We have now informed the school and the consulatation begins with the new school.

Current school not happy with her attendance which is 93% so not sure if they will authorise or not but getting to the point I don't care!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now