Talk

Advanced search

Admissions

(15 Posts)
Watchingitall Wed 06-Jul-16 12:55:34

Hello. My little girl is due to start reception in September at the school she has been attending nursery at. It wasn't the closest school but we got a place.
We've now moved closer to the school but I keep reading that our move will change the circumstances, making her application late. I'm now very concerned because I'm aware of people that applied for a place on time but missed out to kids that lived closer. Will our application really go to the bottom of the list because we've moved closer to school?

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Wed 06-Jul-16 12:56:50

You mean this September? And the place was allocated this spring?

Watchingitall Wed 06-Jul-16 12:58:22

Yes, that's right. Spring 2016 for a start in September 2016.

Paddingtonthebear Wed 06-Jul-16 12:58:48

Er, no. She has a place and if you have accepted it, which I presume you did some time ago when it was allocated to you back in the Spring, she will be due to start there in Sept.

redskytonight Wed 06-Jul-16 12:59:35

If you've been allocated a place it won't be taken away from you (even if you'd moved to Outer Mongolia). The only occasion where moving might cause a problem is if it's suspected you were temporarily living somewhere just to get a school place - but as you've actually moved closer to the school, this clearly isn't the case for you.

NickNacks Wed 06-Jul-16 12:59:52

Well then you're no longer applying! You already have a space or am I missing something??!

mishmash1979 Wed 06-Jul-16 13:00:40

Also u should b well into the new starters schedule by now. Did u accept the place and receive paperwork from the school about starting?

Paddingtonthebear Wed 06-Jul-16 13:01:13

I don't really understand what you mean? Applications for Sept 2016 school places closed ages ago? All children will have been allocated a place ages ago?

Watchingitall Wed 06-Jul-16 13:02:36

Ah. Sorry if I'm coming across a bit dim. It's just that the admissions website states in bold that you have to advise them immediately of any change of circumstances. I've obviously read two different statements and got them mixed up.

PippaFawcett Wed 06-Jul-16 13:03:26

I think you can jump up the waiting list for your chosen school as a result of your change in address if that is what you mean?

Paddingtonthebear Wed 06-Jul-16 13:03:59

Have you received her new starters paperwork? She must be about to do her induction days by now?

Watchingitall Wed 06-Jul-16 13:04:05

Yes, place accepted, been to meet the teachers and then moved (closer).

Balletgirlmum Wed 06-Jul-16 13:05:55

It might have made a difference if you'd moved further away as they might have said you were no longer close enough to school/had only been living at your previous address to get a place.

But it won't affect your dd moving closer.

Watchingitall Wed 06-Jul-16 13:09:54

Thank you all for your responses. I just suddenly thought I'd made the biggest cock up ever! There's real tough competition for school places here at the moment- people reporting each other for all kinds of supposed rule breaking.

prh47bridge Wed 06-Jul-16 16:10:59

It might have made a difference if you'd moved further away as they might have said you were no longer close enough to school/had only been living at your previous address to get a place

They can't take a place away on the basis that you are no longer close enough to a school. As Redskytonight says, you can move to Outer Mongolia and keep you place as long as you can get your child to school. The only issue would be if they thought you were using a false address to get a place.

the admissions website states in bold that you have to advise them immediately of any change of circumstances

That will be about what happens if you move after you've applied but before you've received an offer. Once you've received an offer there are only very limited grounds on which it can be withdrawn. They certainly cannot withdraw the place just because you move house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now