Talk

Advanced search

Phonics Screening Check

(31 Posts)
Singlemum1985 Tue 05-Jul-16 20:24:19

Just curious as to other parents experiences.

Did your school report your child's score or just advise if the have met the national standard?

CookieDoughKid Tue 05-Jul-16 22:52:29

Mine reported the actual score. My ds failed phonics test - Got 30 out of 40 and pass mark is 32.

DaisyBooMum Tue 05-Jul-16 22:54:10

Mine got 37/40

Johnny5isAlive Tue 05-Jul-16 23:22:00

We got a letter (through the post iirc) with his actual score

AcornToOak Tue 05-Jul-16 23:35:25

We got a comment about it on their end of year report

AcornToOak Tue 05-Jul-16 23:36:39

Sorry, yes it did state the actual score

catkind Wed 06-Jul-16 02:20:35

Just pass/fail here. (Sorry, "met the standard"/"did not meet the standard" or some such wording. But it meant pass/fail.)

Ditsy4 Wed 06-Jul-16 05:47:36

It might be on the school report. Ask for an appointment after school and they should tell you.

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 06-Jul-16 05:54:00

We had a letter in an envelope handed out with the actual score.

Feenie Wed 06-Jul-16 07:05:54

Legally, schools have to report both the score and whether it meets the expected standard.

rubberducker Wed 06-Jul-16 09:03:55

We got the exact score and whether that met the expected standard but weren't told what they had to get to 'pass' so interesting to see a pp say the threshold was 32.

catkind Wed 06-Jul-16 22:48:47

I didn't get around to asking (this was last year for us), I had more urgent things to talk to the teacher about at parents evening. Scores weren't automatically given out to us; will be interesting to see if they take the same approach to SATs this year, I get the impression we're expecting a rather higher failure rate.

Singlemum1985 Wed 06-Jul-16 23:14:43

Thanks everyone!

Feenie I was under the same impression but just wanted to check the general consensus before I approach the school.

We had a one line small print, blink and you missed it - Children in year one took the phonics screening test. Your child took part and has met the standard.

Feenie Thu 07-Jul-16 07:04:16

Here's the statutory guidance:

www.gov.uk/guidance/2016-key-stage-1-assessment-and-reporting-arrangements-ara/section-7-phonics-screening-check

Good luck! Had exactly the same with ds's school a few years ago.

Girlsinthegarden Thu 07-Jul-16 11:14:03

We were told the exact score with the end of year reports.

onemouseplace Thu 07-Jul-16 12:38:15

We had the outcome (pass/ fail) and then the exact score mentioned in a blink you could miss it way at parents evening. I was surprised as I would have expected it in their report.

NotCitrus Thu 07-Jul-16 13:17:52

Ds and friends got a certificate with their score, including the ones who 'failed'.

wornoutboots Thu 07-Jul-16 13:54:59

still haven't heard anything
maybe in his report next week

Singlemum1985 Fri 08-Jul-16 22:55:55

Well I asked today and she told me there and them, still don't understand why it wasn't in the report though considering the statutory guidance!

Feenie Fri 08-Jul-16 23:05:39

I had go through the LEA and the dfe to persuade ds's head. She didn't believe the statutory guidance and lied that the LEA had told her not to. Unfortunately for her, I forwarded her email to my named contact at the LEA who confirmed they'd said no such thing. Silly woman.

Fairuza Fri 08-Jul-16 23:07:43

I haven't heard yet. I'll have to ask on Monday.

HuckleberryGin Fri 08-Jul-16 23:18:21

We got "has met the expected standard". Now I don't care a fig about the actual scores, but I've a mind to ask cos the head pisses me off. Childish I know.

Feenie Fri 08-Jul-16 23:38:53

I ink it's childish to expect a head to act on statutory rules. What pissed me off with ds's was mainly that as Literacy cow I'd just spent an afternoon writing all our phonics scores letters - they report score, threshold, phonemes they had trouble with and what we're going to do about it. But she couldn't be bothered to report the minimum required - and lying about why really got up my nose.

I'd also.spent ages collating the Y2 school/ national comparison table to report which was also statutory (it's not this year) - she claimed that wasn't necessary for her school either, in response to.my direct quote from the ARA. It was the last straw in a long line of things.

I'm not v popular with her, as you can imagine.

Louw1988 Fri 08-Jul-16 23:42:45

My dd got 27 :-( but she has an amazing report and has top marks for efforts
She's been having eye drops to make her better eye blurred to try and encourage the bad eye to work so she's been trying so hard on very limited vision I'm proud of her either way :-)

Feenie Fri 08-Jul-16 23:48:14

Meant to say I don't think expecting a head to use what is absolutely statutory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now