Advanced search

Year One - New Levels

(6 Posts)
DaisyBooMum Tue 05-Jul-16 17:50:23

Hi
Got Daisy's report for year one.

She was a ahead previously, I understand levels have gone

She got 15 exceeding in Reception

School grading is confusing - 6 categories. 3 are 'working towards the standard' with different explanations. 2 are 'working at the standard' one called 'within plus' and the other 'secure' then the final category is 'secure plus'

Do these link to the old levels in anyway? Daisy's levels were 2 at standard 'within plus' and one at standard 'secure'.

Is this old grades 2b and 2c? She is ORT level 10. How's a parent meant to know if their child is doing well or where average / better than average is. Confused.

spanieleyes Tue 05-Jul-16 17:56:10

There is no link between new levels and any system your school might have come up with to measure progress/attainment. Each school can devise it's own system with its own measures/definitions. We can guess that within plus means just above average, secure means rather more above average and secure plus means definitely above average, but it could mean anything really.

This replaced the old levels system because the government said that was confusing and parents didn't understand it.

Go figure!

SunnySomer Tue 05-Jul-16 18:03:47

When levels were abolished, each school had the opportunity to adopt its own system of measurement, but basically the new national curriculum has a list of age related expectations that an average child should meet in each school year. Children will be assessed as "working towards ARE", "at ARE", "working above ARE" - but the specific wording and number of subdivisions will be specific to your school. You should ask them if they have a handout explaining their descriptors.
You can also Google national curriculum age related expectations.
I'm a parent, not a teacher, so in no position to comment on reading levels and how they relate to expectations.
New expectations don't relate to old levels. New expectations are more challenging and are less linear - ie once a child has grasped what they're supposed to learn in Y1, then they go into it in greater depth ("mastery"), rather than starting Y2 work.
Hope this makes sense. As I said, I'm just a parent, not a professional

mrz Tue 05-Jul-16 19:07:12

Standard secure usually means working at the standard expected for a child in Y1 but only your child's teacher can tell you definitely what in means in your school as there is no national standard for Y1/3/4/5

EarthboundMisfit Tue 05-Jul-16 19:25:32

This terrifies me! We're getting reports on Friday. My two only got a couple exceeding in YR, rest were expected. Not hopeful!

Singlemum1985 Tue 05-Jul-16 20:21:25

I miss Levels!!! My DS has been working at Mastery Level all the way through Year 1 - just got his report and he's still working at Mastery Level - fab, but how do I know if he's moved at all during the year?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now