Talk

Advanced search

Looks like Nicky Morgan is already making excuses for this years SATS

(10 Posts)
tiggytwig Tue 05-Jul-16 10:54:56

Looks like Nicky Morgan has seen this years SATS results and doesn't like the look of the results.shock

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36703784

sparepantsandtoothbrush Tue 05-Jul-16 11:52:45

This was yesterday's news. But, having just seen 'only' 53% of year 6's are reaching expected levels, yes I imagine she had already seen the results sad

bojorojo Tue 05-Jul-16 13:37:02

We previously understood that the Government anticipated 85% to make the expected levels. We heard this had been dropped to 65%. Little hope of that when the curriculum is much more challenging and the Y6 children had been taught the old curriculum for so many years. Our school believed we had dropped from 85% (who would have achieved a level 4 or above in old money) to 63%. It was not our strongest cohort but it has been a challenge to get 63%.

sparepantsandtoothbrush Tue 05-Jul-16 14:46:46

Y6 DS is in a very strong cohort, him included. I still feel sick with anticipation. Not because the results are important to me but because DS knows how much time was spent on learning to test SATS work this year and he doesn't want his last year at primary to have "been a waste". The results are important to him no matter how many times I've told him they really aren't important or useful to anyone

noblegiraffe Tue 05-Jul-16 14:56:13

Crikey, so we can expect nearly half of next year's cohort to have to resit in December of Y7?

As a secondary maths teacher, that's going to be a huge undertaking.

Feenie Tue 05-Jul-16 15:08:34

Perfect time to repost the petition against Y7 resits:

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131568

forkhandles4candles Tue 05-Jul-16 15:17:58

so when do parents get to see school results - and do we find out our DCs' individual results FWIW?

Feenie Tue 05-Jul-16 15:34:20

Depends on your school - they have until the end of the year to report them.

mrz Tue 05-Jul-16 17:32:12

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachmentdata/file/534573/SFR300_2016_text.pdf

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 05-Jul-16 20:30:56

For example, it is wrong to say that ‘the percentage of pupils achieving the expected standard in reading, writing and mathematics fell from 80% in 2015 to 53% in 2016’.

*In looking over time, all users of the statistics can say at this stage is that ‘53% of pupils achieved the new expected standard in 2016 when being taught and assessed against the higher standards expected under
the new curriculum. Under the previous system, 80% of pupils achieved the standard that was expected under that system’*

This might be my favourite thing they have written a far. Or at least a close second behind searching 6 year olds for phones. Is it too much to hope that some journalist will ignore it totally and stick the 1st paragraph in a headline?

I know it's technically correct, but it has that same patronising, 'we're telling you what to think/say' tone as the hostage video and the speech to the NASUWT. They don't learn do they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now