Reception after-school club

(17 Posts)
Topsy1980 Thu 30-Jun-16 13:55:08

My DD starts reception in September. I work til 5pm for 3 days. I can't find a decent childminder. The school doesn't have its own wrap around but they can get walked to the after school club in another primary which is a 15 minute walk away. I'm not sure if this is a good idea. It's mainly the walk to the other school that freaks me out. Wondering if anyone has any experience of this?
Thanks

Ginmummy1 Thu 30-Jun-16 14:19:39

A friend’s DD (also in Reception) gets walked to an after-school club 10 mins’ walk away. It works fine and she loves it. Check out its Ofsted report and maybe see if you can find a mum whose child goes there, to reassure you. It could work well if done well. Good luck!

irvineoneohone Thu 30-Jun-16 14:23:52

i don't have a experience myself, but have seen it. (children walking with after school club stuff on the street.)
If you have time, maybe you can go to the school at end of school day and see it yourself before school break up for summer?

AndNowItsSeven Thu 30-Jun-16 14:27:58

I would discreetly follow the walk now before the schools break up. I once had to report a children club worker to the school as when driving past I saw children walking quite a distance ahead ( with kids club jackets on) near a busy road.

KittyLaRoux Thu 30-Jun-16 14:29:00

Why are you worried about the walk to the other school?

Your DD will not be doing this walk by herself.
You do realise that your DD will be taken out of school on day trips which will include walking with teachers/helpers. Or will you not let that happen?

Topsy1980 Thu 30-Jun-16 17:23:22

Thank you for the advice to go along one afternoon.

I have no problem with school trips, I am a primary school teacher myself. What concerns me is that she will be with children she doesn't know and an adult she is not familiar with.

BikeRunSki Thu 30-Jun-16 17:39:11

But she'll get to know them very quickly? Dies the after school club also go a holiday club? If so, could she go there for a day or 2 this summer.(this is what my DD is doing, although the club is at her school).

KittyLaRoux Thu 30-Jun-16 18:03:45

But when she starts school it will be with children and adults she doesnt know so whats the difference?

irvineoneohone Thu 30-Jun-16 20:00:35

I think it's only natural you worry about your own child starting school!
I was worried sick until my ds settled in even he used to attend the attached nursery!
Some school nearby had problem dropping off children to school after breakfast club at my ds's school. They left kids at gate, and kids just kept on playing outside, not knowing school has started. So it makes sense to check how logistic works.(although it's not going to happen at after school club.)

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Thu 30-Jun-16 20:59:30

My two have a similar set up where they all walk with staff to after school club at a church hall. It's not too far but perhaps takes 10 mins. They actually really enjoy it and enjoy playing with their friends and getting to know DCs in other classes.

Dontlikethedailyfail21 Thu 30-Jun-16 22:11:49

A walk to and from school is supposed to be really healthy. It sounds great that the after school club is not in school grounds as she will see it leaving the work environment to head off for some rest and fun. I think it's a pretty common set up.

Topsy1980 Fri 01-Jul-16 08:31:41

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments. Do you think 3 times a week is too much for her in reception? She has been at nursery til 5 for 3 days a week since she was a toddler but this is different to being in her nursery environment all day. And she'll not get her tea there so she'll be eating quite late. I realise I'm being fussy but it is reassuring to hear from others in similar situations.
Thank you

BikeRunSki Fri 01-Jul-16 09:16:42

DS went to after school club 3 days a week from the start of Reception. He loves it, and always has. He says its like having friends for tea every day!!! DD will join him in Sept and they're going up to 4 days. They have a substantial snack, then DS has his tea at home at 6pm. Huge advantage is that he's made friends/allies in all years, not just his own.

BikeRunSki Fri 01-Jul-16 09:28:09

DS went to after school club 3 days a week from the start of Reception. He loves it, and always has. He says its like having friends for tea every day!!! DD will join him in Sept and they're going up to 4 days. They have a substantial snack, then DS has his tea at home at 6pm. Huge advantage is that he's made friends/allies in all years, not just his own.

NotCitrus Fri 01-Jul-16 09:37:14

Ds did exactly that in Reception - 3 days being walked to another school. It worked really well as most of the kids were R or Y1, and they had a big pile of beanbags and cuddly toys that many small tired kids had a rest on, as well as space to run about.

Ginmummy1 Fri 01-Jul-16 09:57:33

You’re not being fussy – you’re being a caring mum, and it’s a big deal having a child start school!

Lolly12 Fri 01-Jul-16 11:49:07

My son has done 3 days at after school club from the start of reception. He likes it and yes it's a big bonus to have that interaction with other older children in the school. He was tired at the end of the week to start with, but it's got better. I know others who use a large childminders for after school care and they do a ten minute walk to get there, with no issues that I'm aware of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now