Talk

Advanced search

Key stage 1 scaling

(34 Posts)
ReallyTired Wed 29-Jun-16 00:32:01

We been given Dd's key stage 1 sats results today and she has done well according to her teacher. I know that 100 is the expected standard, but what is the average score for her age group on these stupidly hard tests?

ReallyTired Wed 29-Jun-16 00:40:54

It would be interesting to see a bell curve of scores across the country so that I know how my daughter's performance compares with her age group. It would be interesting to see how the bell curves for summer borns or pupil premium kids or different ethnic groups compare across the country.

Feenie Wed 29-Jun-16 07:29:55

You worn find any of that information anywhere - that data is not collected by anyone. It's the school's choice to report it to you.

chamenager Wed 29-Jun-16 12:20:02

The data that IS reported is the teacher assessment (in part based on the actual SATS papers). Is this what you mean RT? I know it often gets called SATS results as a short-hand.

Feenie do you know if the KS1 SATS (as in, teacher assessed scores) are/will be analysed and published somewhere? I recall reading a detailed paper on EYFS assessment, that did analyse e.g. how many summer-borns achieved a 'good level of development' (I seem to recall that barely half the summer borns, and barely half the boys, so probably what, 30% of summer-born boys? achieved GLD - which to me indicates that the expected level for GLD is set wrong, rather than that 70% of summer born boys are 'behind' where they ought to be.)

LC01 Wed 29-Jun-16 12:24:21

Following, as interested too

Feenie Wed 29-Jun-16 12:41:31

That data is analysed - they're reported to the LEA who report them to the dfe.

But RT referred to the scaled scores, which can only mean the tests.

chamenager Wed 29-Jun-16 13:41:53

I thought scaled scores are the thing that is replacing 'levels'? So from this year onwards SATS results (teacher assessed in KS1, exam results/TA in KS2) will be reported as scaled scores? Or did I get that wrong? What ARE they going to report then, if not scaled scores nor levels?

I agree that RT probably meant the actual test, as she wrote I know that 100 is the expected standard, but what is the average score for her age group on these stupidly hard tests?

I'm still interested in the analysis of the SATS (as in, the reported TA SATS). I expect it will take a little while for that analysis to be completed and published. Would appreciate if anyone knows what timescale to expect it in, and where to look for them.

Feenie Wed 29-Jun-16 16:46:06

The teacher assessment is in words - working towards, working at or working in greater depth.

irvineoneohone Wed 29-Jun-16 18:05:25

Feenie, my understanding is, scaled score states where you are nationally.
So, 100 means you are average nationally.(Or in your school?)
Do they take your age into account?( year, month. So 6 years and 1 month old, and 6 years and 10 months old gets different scaled score, even they have same raw score?)

Feenie Wed 29-Jun-16 18:18:12

That's the tests.

The tests are not reported to parents. A handful of schools may choose to do this, but it isn't statutory.

Feenie Wed 29-Jun-16 18:19:04

No, age isn't taken into account in the slightest.

ReallyTired Wed 29-Jun-16 18:29:52

I thought that 100 was the national expected standard that you would hope for a seven year old to reach. 70 to 80% of seven year olds might meet the pass mark so the mean average might be higher. It would be interesting to know what percentage of children scored over a particular score. How many children achieved 115 nationally? (Particularly on the crazy reading paper) How many children achieved over 100 in each subject?

Feenie Wed 29-Jun-16 18:39:02

A pupil’s scaled score is based on their raw score. The raw score is the total number of marks a pupil scores in a test, based on the number of questions they answered correctly. Tests are developed each year to the same specification, but because the questions must be different, the difficulty of tests may vary slightly each year. This means we need to convert the raw scores pupils get in the tests into a scaled score, to ensure we can make accurate comparisons of pupil performance over time.

A scaled score of 100 will always represent the expected standard on the test. Pupils scoring 100 or more will have met the expected standard on the test. In 2016 panels of teachers set the raw score required to meet the expected standard.

Feenie Wed 29-Jun-16 18:39:28

www.gov.uk/guidance/scaled-scores-at-key-stage-1

mrz Wed 29-Jun-16 18:41:12

That is in the tests but they aren't reported only used as one piece of evidence towards the teacher's assessment. As Feenie says in Y2 your child's report will simply say working towards/ working at/ working in greater depth. No scores in KS1

Feenie Wed 29-Jun-16 18:41:20

It would be interesting to know what percentage of children scored over a particular score. How many children achieved 115 nationally? (Particularly on the crazy reading paper) How many children achieved over 100 in each subject?

Impossible to find out, since test scores weren't collected.

There might be data from the sampled schools who took.them.in April to set the standard, but it would be v limited.

mrz Wed 29-Jun-16 18:43:37

Really Tired that data isn't available anywhere as teachers do not submit the scores. The best you can hope for is your child's marks in the tests.

Hulababy Wed 29-Jun-16 18:46:19

This link explains it al further:
www.gov.uk/guidance/scaled-scores-at-key-stage-1

100 is the expected level for a child at the end of Year 2.
The age of that child at that point is not taken into account, so it makes no difference if they are September born or August born.
This is nationally and based on a selection of schools who sat the tests earlier int he year.

The scaled score is for the SATs sat in May in Reading and Maths. SPaG was cancelled this year. The scaled score is determined from the child's raw mark on each test: www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/527252/Scaled_score_conversion_tables_FINALJC.pdf

Maths - 61.6%
Reading - 55%
SPaG would have been 62.5%

In the scaled results 85 is the lowest you can achieve and 115 is the highest.

A child achieving 99 has not yet met the expected level in that test.
If a child doesn't achieve 85 then they are working at pre-key stage levels, and awarded N on the assessment sheet.

The scaled scores/SATs only form ONE part of the child's assessment and they are used to inform the teacher assessment. I believe it is only TA that needs to be reported - this is unlikely to be a scaled score though, and more likely to be something like, at, below or above expected standard for end of KS1.

irvineoneohone Wed 29-Jun-16 18:46:45

If the age isn't taking into account, it is a huge disadvantage to the summer born then. It really makes no sense doing this test at this age.

Feenie Wed 29-Jun-16 18:57:51

It isn't more like to.be anything - it will be working towards, working at or working at greater depth, because those are the statutory requirements.

Feenie Wed 29-Jun-16 18:59:51

Sorry, a cold and writing reports has made me snippy.

irvineoneohone Wed 29-Jun-16 19:05:02

Feenie ,

flowers wine cake

ReallyTired Wed 29-Jun-16 19:17:43

I hope you feel better soon Fennie.

Feenie Wed 29-Jun-16 19:20:22

Aww, thank you! Take no notice of me, I'm a wuss grin

growcookeat Wed 29-Jun-16 21:56:31

As far as I know we are reporting to parents using our own terminology based on our bought in school assessment system. So something like 'working towards, expected, working at greater depth'. We have reported our TA assessments to the LA differently as requested by them.

Is there a requirement to report to parents in the exact terms given to the LA?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now