Talk

Advanced search

Orchard house school vs Ravenscourt Park prep

(11 Posts)
Ealingmumoftwo Sun 26-Jun-16 22:08:43

Please advise! We are currently holding offers for 2017 entry at both schools and having already paid the first terms fees at one school, need to decide whether to pay the hefty sum to the second school to keep both spaces open until 2017.

My concern with RPPS, is the recent opening of the sister senior school, Kew house as I don't really want my child ending up at an unknown school at 11 just because RPPS kids are being "pushed" down that route. Has anyone got children that attend RPPS or Orchard house that could give me any views on this, and also the leavers destinations for both schools? I would obviously like my child to end up at one of the leading London day schools so what I'm really hoping you can help with is which is more academic? Thanks!

BigGreenOlives Mon 27-Jun-16 10:28:56

Ravenscourt has fewer children going to boarding schools, I think I'd prefer it. More working mothers there too.

Ealingmumoftwo Mon 27-Jun-16 11:50:44

Thanks - that's interesting. Would you say Orchard is more of a hot house then? confused

BigGreenOlives Mon 27-Jun-16 14:02:57

No, the country boarding schools are easier to get in to than the day schools as the market is smaller. Have you looked at the leavers' destinations for both schools this year? They should be able to send them to you.

ealingwestmum Mon 27-Jun-16 19:00:41

Hi OP, I don't know either of the schools 1st hand but know many children from both go to the usual suspect West London senior selectives, not just onto Kew House.

The leavers destinations are on both websites - though I would question why Ravenscourt has not yet updated its 2015/2016 figures yet. There is also an aggregation on one of them - these are areas I would delve into more before making your decision, if you have somewhere in particular you are targeting for your DC, you'd want to know their recent success rate?

I don't know too much about preps, but I am a little confused...you have holding places for 2017, and not Sept 2016? I would be working quite fast before school breaks for both to get this resolved, before it gets more expensive!

Ealingmumoftwo Mon 27-Jun-16 20:43:33

Hiya, thanks for your advice. Yes, good point - I think I need to figure out why OH has aggregate figures. The prep schools are giving offers for 2017 - I know - it's crazy, isn't it??

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Tue 28-Jun-16 10:49:51

I don't think RPPS kids are being pushed to Kew House and anyway, Kew House is meant to be fab. Do you prefer the vibe of one to the other? I would go with that, as they're both good schools, otherwise ring up and ask for the latest leavers' destinations and go with the one who sent the most to the school you prefer (though I think RPPS is bigger, no, so you'd have to factor all that in). If your child has the necessary ability both schools should prep him/her for the schools they have in mind - post-Brexit they may be a LOT easier to get into. They are both lovely schools, from what I hear.

Mumofthree1976 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:35:34

HI OP - i have two children at RPPS - one is in year 6 and just got into Godolphin and Latymer with 7 of her class mates. 5 children are heading off to Latymer Upper and lots to Hamptons and other schools. Point being that they, in no way, push for Kew and in fact when we had our Year 5 meeting with the heads - Kew was not recommended to us for our DD. The children who have gone to Kew are those that truly loved it when visiting and wanted a co-ed option that was not a hot house like Latymer. The school do not use Kew as an option for all - it is more for those children who want more out of schooling than a competitive, very academic or oversubscribed school in West London. Saying that, Kew was oversubscribed this year but RPPS children were giving priority on the waiting list - they still had to sit the entrance exams, attend interviews etc. I'm a big fan of RPPS - the ethos, teaching and community spirit is great. I nearly sent my DS to boarding school but have just backed out last minute as I think the school will make sure that he does well in the 11+. I have friends who sent their children to Orchard House and the level of support during the 11+ process was not great with a lot now going for boarding schools outside London. Saying that, all the Orchard House kids that I have met (mostly through friends, sporting fixtures etc) are lovely and polite. Quite a big foreign contingent compared to RPPS. Good luck with the choice that you make - both lovely Prep schools and it really boils down to what you are looking for as a family.

Mumofthree1976 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:47:33

Oh and my youngest is starting reception on 2017 at RPPS - if you do decide to go with RPPS then PM me and I can give you some more info on the school/mums etc.

Ealingmumoftwo Thu 30-Jun-16 20:16:38

Thankyou mumofthree1976 - that's really sound advice. After having spoken to mums with kids at both schools, I think we have decided on rpps for various reasons, so it seems we will see you at the school gates from 2017! Thanks again!

mumbytheriver Wed 31-Aug-16 11:25:42

Just saw this thread and must say I am really surprised by some of the comments. I have had two children at Orchard House and they have both got into excellent senior schools. We felt extremely well supported throughout the whole process and the school were absolutely transparent in all their communication with us. Some children (mainly girls) do go to country boarding schools but it would be a misconception to think this is an easy option - Wycombe Abbey is among the top schools in the country. Orchard House regularly get scholarships to top academic schools both day and boarding, added to which the children are polite and well mannered. Anyway Ealingmumoftwo sounds like you've made your mind up and good luck with Ravenscourt Park but do feel free to PM me if you want to talk more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now