Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Helping with hand writing - Year 1

(7 Posts)
MooseyMoo Fri 24-Jun-16 14:09:28

For the past month, DD has been showing more and more interest in learning how to do joined up writing. She can write clearly but when joined up its messy and unreadable. She often writes the letter and ends up at the top of the letter instead of finishing at the bottom of the letter IYSWIM, and sometimes backwards.

I checked with her teacher this morning and she advised not to teach joined up yet (they do this in a Year 2) but to support with letter formation.

So, can anyone recommend any learning resources that we can use to help her. It's the first time she's shown interest in this so want to encourage her as much as possible.

Thanks

irvineoneohone Fri 24-Jun-16 15:06:53

Here's some printable hand writing work sheets.
Best avoid practicing cursive, different school use different type.

www.activityvillage.co.uk/handwriting-worksheets

mrz Fri 24-Jun-16 18:40:39

She needs to be forming the letters correctly in order to join. So it's important she starts and ends in the correct place.
I would avoid handwriting sheets as these often lead to bad habits.
You need to check if the school uses a particular style and I would suggest using handwriting lines .

irvineoneohone Fri 24-Jun-16 18:44:18

Sorry, mrz. I didn't know.
You should listen to mrz. She is an expert.

validusername Fri 24-Jun-16 18:48:14

DS is keen to join his handwriting too but was told he wasn't allowed til year 2.

So he writes with the ramps(?) instead. This has really helped his letter formation.

MooseyMoo Sat 25-Jun-16 16:01:31

Thank you for your replies.

mrz Re Handwriting style - what are the common styles? And what does handwriting lines mean?

Sorry for more questions. I feel I am re-learning everything I was taught at school!

mrz Sat 25-Jun-16 20:23:48

Nelson handwriting, Cambridge pen pals for handwriting are commonly used schemes my own school uses a style unique to us (based on ex deputy head's own handwriting) so it's worth checking if you know parents with older children in the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now