Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Compulsory School Age

(19 Posts)
gahenty Mon 20-Jun-16 21:10:06

Is the start of the term after they turn 5.

So, if my child turns 5 on the 6th January, is it:
- In one council term starts on the 7th January, so the child is compulsory school age.
- In the other council term starts on the 3rd January, so the child isn't compulsory school age until after Easter.
or
- 'Term' starts on 1st month, so the child is compulsory school age after 1st April, as turns 5 after 1st January.

Help! I'm confused!

MistyMeena Mon 20-Jun-16 21:13:28

If you're in the UK, school isn't compulsory at all! They can start whenever you want.

Usually they would start the September before 5th birthday.

DetestableHerytike Mon 20-Jun-16 21:13:48

Term may in fact start on the same day but one council has inset days at the start of term.

Best to ask the relevant council direct!

gahenty Mon 20-Jun-16 21:28:44

So, compulsory school age (which is a thing, misty) varies from council to council?

DetestableHerytike Mon 20-Jun-16 21:30:44

No, I am saying term may start 3rd jan in both but one council had the first few days if term as inset days.

Best to ask the council, as I said.

gahenty Mon 20-Jun-16 21:32:54

But it's not just inset days that make term dates vary by council.

Is it like early years funding, the 1st of the month, or does it vary by council?

leghoul Mon 20-Jun-16 21:36:45

term after they turn 5
If turning 5 just before start of new term, then that new term would be the relevant one I would think and yes it does vary regionally and by just a few days
many schools seem to get this wrong and assume it is 5th birthday - they're wrong it's after Easter for a child turning 5 during the first term of the calendar year

nancy75 Mon 20-Jun-16 21:39:00

Most schools only have 1 intake now don't they? In September?

DetestableHerytike Mon 20-Jun-16 21:40:38

I have nothing further to add on the subject than ask your council. Assume you are trying to find out for a reason to do with sending your DC to school only for summer term.

NickNacks Mon 20-Jun-16 21:43:37

The cut offs for each term are 31st December, 31st March and 31st August regardless of the term dates.

gahenty Mon 20-Jun-16 21:49:35

Don't assume.

NickNacks that's great, if true. Do you have a source?

gahenty Mon 20-Jun-16 21:50:39

Which council? As I said, don't assume.

I'm trying to find out (and assume someone here is knowledgeable!) the legal position generally, on compulsory school age.

DetestableHerytike Mon 20-Jun-16 21:50:52

Ok dokey.

Byesie bye.

caroldecker Mon 20-Jun-16 21:51:16

There is no compulsory school age, only getting your child an education. You can home ed.

SliceOfLime Mon 20-Jun-16 21:52:50

What NickNacks said is correct, it's in the School Admissions Code.

SliceOfLime Mon 20-Jun-16 21:55:45

See footnote on p24 School Admisssions Code

gahenty Mon 20-Jun-16 22:00:40

Fantastic! Thanks to those who knew the answer! smile

gahenty Mon 20-Jun-16 22:01:44

FFS, there is a legal term 'compulsory school age'. I just wanted to know when it was. I know people home ed, great for you, but I needed clarity on the legal term.

Thank you!

mrz Tue 21-Jun-16 06:40:32

The term "Compulsory School Age" is confusing. It does not actually mean that school is compulsory during the qualifying period. It does, however, mean that the parent or guardian of a child of "compulsory school age" has a duty to provide an education (subject to section 7 of the 1996 Education Act) during that period.

Your child is of "compulsory school age" on the 1st January, 1st April or 1st September following their 5th birthday.
Children becoming 5 years old between 1st January and 31st March are of compulsory school age at the beginning of the term after 1st April.
Children becoming 5 years old between 1st April and 31st August are of compulsory school age from the beginning of the term after 1st September.
Children becoming 5 years old between 1st September and 31st December are of compulsory school age from the beginning of the term after 1st January.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now