Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Phonics Check

(7 Posts)
Singlemum1985 Mon 13-Jun-16 16:42:16

Just wondered if this is the norm? My ds came out of school today and said he did phonics screening with his teacher this morning but wasn't sure if it was the 'real' one or a practice. I don't want to keep going over the practice papers with him all week if he has already taken the test so I asked the teacher if it was a practice or the real one he took today??

Was that unreasonable of me? I didn't mention results or anything just wanted to know if he can relax or needs to keep practising. I was told in no uncertain terms that she is not allowed to tell me whether he has taken the test or not!!!!

Also, as were on the subject . . . .

As parents will we get to know the score at some point?

sirfredfredgeorge Mon 13-Jun-16 16:55:46

It's a check, he should not make a special effort for it, otherwise it loses its value as a check surely?

Would you have him trying to figure out letters from their fuzzy shape the week before an eye test?

Singlemum1985 Mon 13-Jun-16 17:02:42

Actually the school have been sending homework practice home for it for the last couple of weeks! Just wanted the check if I should carry it on all week!

Thanks for the helpful response though 🤔

ListenToYourHeart Mon 13-Jun-16 17:06:08

My DD has hers this week but they've also been evasive with telling us when.

All they've said is week commencing 13th June, so think it may be best to continue practicing with what they've been sent home as a practice.

mrz Mon 13-Jun-16 17:22:38

The phonics screening check will take place sometime this week (school can decide) and the results will be reported to you at the end of the year. At this point schools don't know what the expected standard is ...they will be informed later this month. There is no reason why the teacher can't tell you if your child has completed the check today although they can't discuss details.

Practising for the check is counter productive and poor practice.

Singlemum1985 Mon 13-Jun-16 17:47:10

Thanks mrz.

I understand about the practice but school have been fluffing it for weeks unfortunately!

Singlemum1985 Mon 13-Jun-16 17:56:17

Flogging not fluffing haha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now