Talk

Advanced search

Key Stage 1 conversion table for Key Stage 1 Sats are out

(93 Posts)
Hulababy Fri 03-Jun-16 16:23:11

www.gov.uk/guidance/scaled-scores-at-key-stage-1#calculating-raw-scores

Not sure if of any use on here, but this has been updates today.

Using the raw scores from English and Maths you can convert to the standardised score, between 85-115. To be age expected the child needs to score 100.

Maths looks to be 37/60
English looks to be 22/40

Feenie Fri 03-Jun-16 16:57:58

Eventually! They published them at about 2 o'clock when they got round to it - and in one of two very different places they had said they would be. They were waiting for authorisation from the Secretary of State's office, apparently. Evidently, she didn't think anyone would be that interested today. STA hotline was filled with cross Y2 teachers. More bungled admin.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 03-Jun-16 20:13:22

What's left to go wrong now? There can't be much for this year.

Paperm0ver Fri 03-Jun-16 20:17:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RamsayBoltonsConscience Fri 03-Jun-16 20:26:27

A child scoring 100 is reaching the 'expected' standard for year 2 and so the expectation would be that they continue to achieve that at the end of year 6 and likewise with any child achieving above the expected standard. Children who achieve below the expected will get interventions and, by the end of year 6, should have closed the gap to reach expected (in theory and depending on the difficulty in learning!)

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 03-Jun-16 20:27:33

Expectations might depend on individual schools. Some schools might expect that others will be trying to get those children to expected if they think it is possible.

As I understand it, for the new progress measures, children will be compared to other children with the same standardised score. This makes it a bit more difficult to predict what a 'good' KS2 score might be. On the face of it a child who got 95 at KS1 getting 95 at KS2 might look OK, but if the average KS2 score for children scoring 95 at KS1 is 97 then that child has made less than expected progress.

knaffedoff Fri 03-Jun-16 20:30:18

As a parent, will the schools be informing parents of their child's score and provide this as an average against their peers?

Hulababy Fri 03-Jun-16 20:31:00

Children achieving below age expected will generally have been highlighted by teachers, and hopefully the results from the SATs won't be too big a surprise. There will always be some children who achieve above or below what teacher's thought - thats always going to be the case with any one-shot type assessment/exam. But it should only be the ones the teachers felt were borderline hopefully.

Any child not achieving age related, once these and the Teacher Assessment is taken into account together, should be flagged when going into key stage 2. This may mean that child will have various interventions in the areas they need it. Though, this should have been happening anyway, before the introduction of the new SATs.

Pico2 Fri 03-Jun-16 20:31:24

What will parents be told from this? Raw score, standardised score or just whether the child has reached the expected level? Or nothing at all?

Paperm0ver Fri 03-Jun-16 20:32:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hulababy Fri 03-Jun-16 20:33:51

knaffed - depends on individual schools. I think schools only have to report the final Teacher Assessments - the KS1 SATs are only one aspect of the assessment process and, for now at least, do not take precedence or importance over any other form of assessment - so more more important than genera; classwork, other checks, etc.

However, they must tell parents the marks if a parent requests them.

Hulababy Fri 03-Jun-16 20:34:58

Pico - think it is just whether they are at age related or not.
I guess similar to the Y1 phonics screening - at expected or not there too, rather than actual raw marks.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 03-Jun-16 20:40:05

Actually forget that stuff about the progress measure. I can't see how that's going to work, so I'm guessing I've missed something.

chamenager Fri 03-Jun-16 23:07:53

Can I ask, how do the teachers amongst you feel about these conversion tables? Do you think the score needed to get 100 i.e. expected is set high, low, about right? Depending on subject?

Just curious, from a parent's perspective. My child is in Y1 so we have all this to look forward to for next year.

Feenie Sat 04-Jun-16 09:18:40

I think Maths is stupidly high and Reading is too low.

The scaled scores aren't reported anywhere - not to parents, the LEA or the DfE, and won't be used as a prediction for anything. They will be used to inform the teacher assessment only. The standards the children must reach to meet expected using classroom are different to the test standard, so it's not possible to award expected on just the scaled score alone. Why all the pantomime of the tests, with covered displays and mobile phone risking then, you may ask? Good question. confused

Ratty667 Sat 04-Jun-16 10:41:36

Is maths high because the sample children all scored highly?

Hulababy Sat 04-Jun-16 11:35:05

That's what they claimed they were going to do. Not sure.

Don't have our raw scores but we had done some preliminary estimates and had based them in slightly higher percentages - so looks like we should have done well; after the hard work and messes about we've all had I hope so!

Hulababy Sat 04-Jun-16 11:36:55

But yes 62% seems high for just reaching age expected in the maths.

mrz Sat 04-Jun-16 12:04:50

. Who knows what they've done they're making it up as they go along

Ratty667 Sat 04-Jun-16 12:32:11

I thought the maths was quite easy ( ducks for cover)

The reading was hard as they have rolled in both papers and lots of children wouldn't have been able to do reading paper two.

I think it would have been fairer to the children to give two scores per subject.

JinRamen Sat 04-Jun-16 12:46:59

Question, if a child isn't at expected and they school don't give interventions, what can we do as parents to help them? Other than redoing work at home? For example do cannot do the homework. At all. But no interventions in place and the next week we just have different homework? It seems we are pushing them along at a quick pace to cover the material but there is no stopping to cover things they don't get as the work is never seen again?

mrz Sat 04-Jun-16 14:51:04

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/527482/Information_for_parents_-_2016_NCT_results_at_the_end_of_key_stage_1_03062016__2__PDFA.pdf

Galena Sat 04-Jun-16 17:12:09

I find it sad that, in the document mrz linked to, children can only be working at or 'need more help to reach' the expected standard for their age. Absolutely no acknowledgement that they might be above, beyond or 'working at greater depth' Despite the fact that a score of 115 indicates they are working above the expected level.

Now yes, I do have a child who is working above age-related expectations. No, I don't want to brag about her results to others. I am knowledgeable enough about the primary curriculum to know that she is doing very well. I just feel slightly sad for those other children who are doing very well, whose parents don't know the curriculum, and who will be told, along with a child who got 100 on the papers, that their child is 'meeting expectations'. What a shame we can't celebrate those children who are doing well.

mrz Sat 04-Jun-16 17:36:43

It would've even better if the content of the tests matched the standards teachers are expected to use to assess.

catkind Sat 04-Jun-16 17:46:26

I think "need more help to reach" would be a pretty bitter pill too Galena for some parents whose kids are clearly never going to do so. In the old system you could still see them going up levels, now you will never see progress, just always "need more help to reach".

I find the whole reporting system pretty meaningless tbh. You learn nothing from met standards/not met standards unless they happen to move from one category to the other in a particular year, and then you know they've made some progress or fallen back.

Then that just throws us back on us relying on the actual teacher comments to see how they're doing. Which is all there was when we were kids anyway and seemed to do us fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now