What information do we get from the KS1 SAT?

(67 Posts)
lesshaste Thu 26-May-16 17:21:16

For KS1, do we only get information about which of the 3 levels your child is in? These are something like below average, average and above average but in government speak. I asked the school teacher and they said that we would hear in mid-July and this is all we would get. This seems a very coarse measure if true.

mrz Thu 26-May-16 17:33:12

There are no levels you will simply be told whether your child has met the expected standard or not.

lesshaste Thu 26-May-16 17:35:03

mrz Is it really just a yes/no answer? That's hardly any information at all!

nilbyname Thu 26-May-16 17:37:22

And what is this mystical standard?

lesshaste Thu 26-May-16 17:42:24

nilbyname I think the current officials terms are:

Working towards the expected standard
Working at the extended standard
Working at greater depth

There is no explanation of what "expected standard" means as far I know.

nilbyname Thu 26-May-16 17:45:46

Yes - this elusive 'standard'! It's bonkers!

Feenie Thu 26-May-16 17:47:06

Here are the standards:

www.gov.uk/government/publications/interim-frameworks-for-teacher-assessment-at-the-end-of-key-stage-1

lesshaste Thu 26-May-16 17:48:04

Thanks Feenie

nilbyname Thu 26-May-16 17:49:47

Thank you smile

lesshaste Thu 26-May-16 19:02:54

Do the teachers get the raw scores?

Feenie Thu 26-May-16 19:21:29

Yes - we mark them! At the movement, they are just one part of the overall assessment, and we're not required to report them. However, Nicky wants the assessment changed to proper exams that are externally marked, like Y6.

Feenie Thu 26-May-16 19:22:08

Moment - stupid kindle.

lesshaste Thu 26-May-16 19:24:33

Feenie Of course! smile I am not sure how to interpret "we're not required to report them" though. Does this mean that most teachers/schools won't want to tell the parents for some reason? Why keep it a secret?

Also, I wonder why it is Nicky but not Michael?

Singlemum1985 Thu 26-May-16 19:37:39

feenie is correct that most schools will use the results to as just part of their overall assessment however as a parent they cannot refuse to give you the actual results if requested in writing by the parent.

Feenie Thu 26-May-16 19:47:02

Only in that we are required to share anything in writing regarding your child. But it's not a statutory requirement to report it and doesn't have the same degree of importance as statutory reporting.

Yet.

Singlemum1985 Thu 26-May-16 19:50:55

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518970/2016_KS1_Assessment_and_reporting_arrangements__ARA__April_PDFA.pdf

Page 15, paragraph 6.4 if this helps lessjaste

Feenie Thu 26-May-16 19:52:19

Because, lesshaste, they are just one piece in the huge jigsaw that builds up a picture of your child's assessment! Reporting the test results as well wood convey the message that they are more important than any other piece of evidence (which is what the dfe would really like, for that result to be the be all and end all, like pre-2005. No leeway for an upset 6 year old, no day to day evidence included at all. Just a 45 minute snapshot, like the bad old days.)

Put it this way, would you want to see all the other bits of evidence too?.The photos, videos, books, notes, jottings, records, post its? They're all equally as important.

Feenie Thu 26-May-16 19:53:05

Would, would, would. Ffs hmm

lesshaste Thu 26-May-16 20:07:24

Singlemum1985 That is brilliantly definitive, thank you!

lesshaste Thu 26-May-16 20:09:32

Feenie Although I think I see your point, it seems over paternalistic. As the parent, I would like to know the scores my children get in every test they do at school no matter how big or small. I find it odd that the school can decide what information about my own child I can cope with.

Feenie Thu 26-May-16 20:20:53

confused They don't. The government do. They set the legislation.

lesshaste Thu 26-May-16 20:26:43

Feenie Sorry I was referring to your answer starting"Because, lesshaste, they are just one piece in the huge jigsaw[...]". As far as I can tell the government just sets the minimum a school is required to report.

Feenie Thu 26-May-16 20:33:34

They set out what they legally require schools to do, and we have to do that, it's statutory. I explained to you the nature of KS1 assessment (again, set by the dfe) and why that particular piece of information is therefore no.more important than any other.

If you don't like it, I suggest you a) ask to see the test scores and b) write to Nicky Morgan who, I imagine, will be delighted since it will all be grist to her stupid, officious, test-obsessed mill.

lesshaste Thu 26-May-16 20:42:36

Feenie I feel we may be at cross purposes so thank you again for the helpful information you provided.

I still don't understand why a school would feel it would only do something obvious and simple (and potentially helpful) like reporting test scores to parents if it was legally required to. Perhaps I have the wrong picture of how schools work of course.

mrz Thu 26-May-16 20:50:48

If parents want the test results they can have them but they aren't reported to the government or the LEA and its teacher assessment based on wirk produced over the year against the standards that is officially reported (to parents, DfE and LEA)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now