Talk

Advanced search

has anyone gone through the SPAG paper with their child??

(13 Posts)
drivinmecrazy Wed 25-May-16 23:17:32

This eveni I went through the SPAG paper with DD2 & DH. I just wanted to cry. How can the powers that be justify their marking schemes???
DD is by no means a genius bur she understood all of the paper but by the time we had applied the marking scheme she barely scored much. I.E. how can a three part question equal one mark, or how can a 3 part question be marked zero because of one small spelling mistake? ???
What the hell must our teachers be feeling? If the tests weren't bad enough you really need to have a look at the marking guidelines. What a national disgrace! !!

drivinmecrazy Wed 25-May-16 23:20:21

I apologise for my spelling mistakes before someone comes on critiquing my writing. Mobiles have a lot to answer for!!

littlequestion Thu 26-May-16 10:47:33

I haven't because it won't do any good now and I don't want to panic ds (or me!) if he got lots wrong. It does look tough though and it's crazy that you can get so much right in a question and still score zero.

BertrandRussell Thu 26-May-16 10:49:02

God, why would you do that? It's done. Forget it.

irvineoneohone Thu 26-May-16 11:19:53

No I haven't done it with ds, but I do agree, the mark scheme seems very harsh. There are so many " 1 mark for all correct". It's all or nothing. So if dc got 3/4 right, still gets no mark. Was previous sats like this as well?
It's like the test aiming children to fail, rather than test their knowledge.

Feenie Thu 26-May-16 12:12:01

Lots of the Y2 reading papers are like that too - they need to have the concentration to get to the end of the question. It's v mean.

Mandzi34 Thu 26-May-16 12:14:03

I haven't and won't. I looked at some of the answers for the maths and decided it would just drive me crazy. It is done and we can't change the outcome now.

TeenAndTween Thu 26-May-16 12:18:19

I haven't and I won't because I don't see the point.
Tests are done, you don't know what she actually wrote, they are being marked, you'll find out eventually.

lifesalongsong Thu 26-May-16 12:20:18

In the nicest possible way and in the grand scheme of life this really doesn't matter.

If you and your child's teachers are happy that she's making progress and she's happy at school don't make this a big issue. I'm entirely confident that whatever she gets in a year 2 test won't determine how her life pans out.

I don't have children sitting this test so I don't know the details but it's the same for all children, the teachers know the children and if you don't make a fuss your daugther will probably forget all about it, my children did when they were that age.

sparepantsandtoothbrush Thu 26-May-16 12:37:47

No I haven't and I don't know why anybody would want to. They've done the test, nothing can be changed. End of story!

Peacefully8484 Thu 26-May-16 13:35:01

Are you talking about the y2 ks1 test or the year 6 ks2 test? I'm tempted not to share the results with my year 6 daughter when they come out as whole thing been so absurd!

drivinmecrazy Thu 26-May-16 13:58:11

I found it an eye opener because she clearly has a greater understanding of grammar than I gave her credit for. Sadly for DD her spelling is really not great so although she knew some answers she would have been marked wrong on some questions because of misspelling, or missed out on marks because of one mistake.
DD didn't re-do the test, we just sat down and read through it together (though my DH did do the whole test - wasn't a resounding success!)
DD knows we are deeply proud of how hard she worked toward the test, and that her results are really not important.
Even my 15yo DD2 was surprised by the level of some of the questions, equating some with her GCSE english language course.

AChickenCalledKorma Thu 26-May-16 16:16:23

I've read it but DD2 doesn't know it has been published. Going through it again would just make her worry for no reason. I totally agree that giving one mark for a the point question is ludicrous and extremely poor psychology.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now