11+ question - no idea what pass mark is

(10 Posts)
hiddengems Wed 25-May-16 17:13:13

We live in an area with state grammars, which take top 15 - 20% children.

DS is due to take test in September. He's tried a couple of past papers but I have no idea what pass mark he should be aiming for.

What would be a 'should be encouraged to take the test' level and what mark do you think would be good enough.

I know what the qualifying scores were last year but it doesn't say what the maximum score was!

Chewbecca Wed 25-May-16 17:16:54

There is no one 11+ test, it varies from area to area in both content, 'pass' mark and how places are allocated. Which area are you? The 'elevenplusexams' forum has a section for each area & tons of information.

Lurleene Wed 25-May-16 17:21:14

In my area this year the pass mark was 294 out of 400. Of course that doesn't guarantee a place as they don't know how many will achieve higher than the pass mark.

spanieleyes Wed 25-May-16 17:29:04

In my area we tell parents they need to aim for 75-80% to be in with a chance.

butmumineedit Wed 25-May-16 17:32:43

If you live in S lincs pass mark is 220 with highest score I believe of 270 .

hiddengems Wed 25-May-16 17:34:35

That's helpful. He got about 70% so worth putting him in at any rate

Thank you.

Dixiechickonhols Wed 25-May-16 17:49:45

If you look on the 11 plus forum them you may get advice specific to your area.

We were told 70-75% by the head (not superselective 11 plus area)

shouldwestayorshouldwego Thu 26-May-16 05:17:21

The tests are standardised, depending on the test the pass mark can be as low as 50% if it is a really hard test. You need to find out more about the test he will be sitting and the tests he has already done. Having said that if you think that he goes to a fairly good school (ask his current school how many usually go from there) and he is on one of the top two tables, it is worth giving it a shot.

hiddengems Thu 26-May-16 08:41:57

Thanks.

I thinks out a third of the boys passed last year. He's not a dead cert but worth a shot.

hiddengems Thu 26-May-16 09:41:48

Sorry - that should have been 'I think about' a third

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now