Talk

Advanced search

Ds only in nursery 2 days a week

(8 Posts)
Dizzywizz Sat 21-May-16 06:38:50

Ds starts school in September. He will be 4 at the end of July so is a young 'un. He goes to my parents 1 day and nursery 2 days, and nursery can't fit another day in.

I'm worried about him going from just 2 (long) days in nursery to 5 days in school - do you think I need to change nurseries to get him used to more days? Thanks for any thoughts/experiences.

SaltyMyDear Sat 21-May-16 06:42:59

Don't change nurseries at this point.

He'll probably be extremely tired when he starts school regardless of how much nursery he attended.

wetsnow Sat 21-May-16 06:43:11

I think he will be fine.
I teach reception and children cope really well with starting school .. often it's the parents that worry more!
My dd does the same as your dc (one day in laws, 2 long days in nursery) and will stay doing that till she starts school.

But... you know you child better.

louisejxxx Sat 21-May-16 08:22:21

He'll be fine. My ds only did 2 days a week before starting school (he's july-born too) and he managed just fine.

Obeliskherder Sat 21-May-16 12:11:38

Just keep him as he is.

If poss I would keep him in nursery through the summer and use your leave in Sept to give him a tapered start to school, if that's an option. Mine started on mornings, then stayed for lunch, before doing full days. Complete PITA with work but it was compulsory at DD's school at the time so we had to make it work. These days I think schools can't insist on it, so more children start FT from day 1. But our school, at least, still encourage slower starts and will accommodate children doing half days for as long as needed. Some just 4 year olds are still napping!

You'll find out more from the school nearer the time.

Dizzywizz Sat 21-May-16 19:14:56

Thank you for your messages, sounds like it will be ok then. Obeliskherder He will be in over summer - I work through holidays anyway - so will continue his 2 days in nursery. The school does a playgroup for a couple of hours on my day off so until the holidays I will take him to that every week I guess which will help. Thank you all for alleviating my fears!

Ilovewillow Sun 22-May-16 22:55:42

I would leave him where he is at this late stage. He will no doubt we tired starting school , if you can do part time for a few weeks might be worth considering. However, I do think children are generally more resilient than we credit them for. My daughter was 4 2 weeks before starting school and only did nursery 3 days per week. I was worried but she copes so well, it was new and exciting and she resented being part time until half term as she wanted to be with her new fiends!

Dizzywizz Mon 23-May-16 04:46:11

Thanks I love willow. Pt until half term though? I hope this is not the case, I have to work!! I guess I'll find out soon enough. We've got a meeting at the school in a few weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now