Talk

Advanced search

Moving house, school appeal.

(8 Posts)
bluenailsblueshoes Fri 20-May-16 12:29:50

I would really appreciate any help, we're moving house in a few weeks and have been to look round a potential new school which I loved.
The head said I would need to write to the governors as there are 30 in the class so it would be above pan.
The governors said no so they have given me a form to appeal.
The head said the only objection she would have is that it is a particularly challenging class but she wouldn't say more than that when it goes to panel.
My ds is very unhappy at his present school, he's on the sen register. The new school is a forest school which would be perfect for him.
He is 7 years old.
I asked the head and they have previously gone to 31 in year 5 but aren't at the moment.
Do I have much chance at the appeal? On the form do I put how unhappy he is at his current school or focus on the strengths of his new school.
Any advice would be really appreciated.

Witchend Fri 20-May-16 13:28:37

Is he 7yo in year 2, or 7yo in year 3?

If he's 7yo in year 2, you may be better waiting until next year as it won't be infant class size.

bluenailsblueshoes Fri 20-May-16 14:44:18

He's in year 3

prh47bridge Fri 20-May-16 17:21:42

How far away from your son's current school will you be after the move? If it is no longer possible to make the journey you can avoid saying anything about the current school.

You need to make the best case you can as to why this is the right school for your son. What does it offer him that is missing from his current school (or any alternative offered by the council) that is particularly relevant to him.

I wouldn't want to predict your chances. If you can make a decent case you will have a chance but a lot will depend on the school's case to refuse admission. The head has indicated that they will talk about it being a particularly challenging class. If they genuinely stick to that it will depend how strong a case they make out of it.

bluenailsblueshoes Fri 20-May-16 20:26:27

Thanks for replying
His current school is possible travel wise, I would be looking to move him even if we weren't moving as he's so unhappy there.
So should I comment on his current school but focus on the positives of the new school.
The head has said she will just say it's a challenging class and no more, I get the impression she's not going to oppose it too much but will say that.

Smartiepants79 Fri 20-May-16 20:31:01

Can I ask what makes you think moving him to a large 'challenging' class is going to be a positive move for him?
For challenging read a higher than average proportion of children with Sen and/or behaviour issues.
Are there any alternative schools?

bluenailsblueshoes Fri 20-May-16 21:00:30

No alternatives, he is in a very challenging class now so the positives of the new school outweigh the one negative.

prh47bridge Fri 20-May-16 23:57:56

In the situation you describe I would say something about why you want your son to move schools. Try not to be negative about the current school unless you have evidence that they are failing him, for example by not addressing a bullying problem. Concentrate on how the new school would be better for him than his current school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now