Talk

Advanced search

4 Year old and counting

(22 Posts)
Mandzi34 Fri 20-May-16 11:21:34

DS is due to start Reception in September. I realise that end of year learning goals for Reception are to recognise numbers to 20 and count on and back. Are they meant to be able to mentally calculate sums such as 3+2 etc?

JustABigBearAlan Fri 20-May-16 11:26:06

I'm not sure. Mine's in Reception and they are doing number bonds at the moment. So, yes, I guess simple sums they'd be able to do in their heads? They also use number lines in class to help with counting on and back.

Apart from that I don't know! Maybe some more knowledgeable posters can clarify.

blackteaplease Fri 20-May-16 11:26:46

No, not in my experience. Why do you ask? If your child is interested in numbers you can do simple maths with them but there is no need to push them.

Artandco Fri 20-May-16 11:29:02

Yes. My son is in reception. They are suppose to know number bonds to 20 before they start year one in September. So they started 1-10 when they started school and have worked up

Mandzi34 Fri 20-May-16 11:31:16

I ask because although I have two older children I can't remember what they did in Reception and I know the curriculum has changed so just wondered what to expect really.

InTheSandPit Fri 20-May-16 11:36:03

My reception child is doing sums on his fingers up to 20, and doubling. Also basic subtraction. And counting to 100.
But you are over a year til your child finishes reception. Let them go at their own speed.

Ginmummy1 Fri 20-May-16 13:11:34

According to this document (August 2014 - not sure if it is the latest):

www.gov.uk/government/publications/eyfs-profile-exemplication-materials

The EYFS early learning goal for numbers (by end of Reception) is:

"Children count reliably with numbers from 1 to 20, place them in
order and say which number is one more or one less than a given
number. Using quantities and objects, they add and subtract two
single-digit numbers and count on or back to find the answer.
They solve problems, including doubling, halving and sharing."

And for shape, space and measures:

"Children use everyday language to talk about size, weight,
capacity, position, distance, time and money to compare
quantities and objects and to solve problems. They recognise,
create and describe patterns. They explore characteristics of
everyday objects and shapes and use mathematical language
to describe them."

CodyKing Fri 20-May-16 13:15:31

Number bonds are so important
3/7 8/2 etc - it really embeds their knowledge for later maths skills

Knowing 10-2 is 8 as 8+2 is 10 sot hey can work out missing numbers

We had a maths pairs game where they had to total 10 to win the match

Mandzi34 Fri 20-May-16 14:38:55

Thanks all. I see my Year 4 DD doing stuff DS did in Year 5 so I just wondered what was expected for the infants. DS (4) often wobbles going into nursery so I hope he settles at school!

LittleNelle Fri 20-May-16 20:54:18

They don't need to learn any number bonds in reception. They'll do addition and subtraction with single digit numbers but they can use objects, counting on fingers etc.

parrotonmyshoulder Fri 20-May-16 20:55:54

End of reception! That's over a year away. In the life of a 4 year old it's a long, long time.

Artandco Fri 20-May-16 21:22:47

Little - they do need to do number bonds. They def do at my children's school and it's on the ks1 curriculum for reception age now. This is the first year of the new curriculum

LittleNelle Fri 20-May-16 21:29:19

Number bonds aren't on the Reception curriculum.

Artandco Fri 20-May-16 21:41:16

From the gov website:
''Pupils memorise and reason with number bonds to 10 and 20 in several forms (for example, 9 + 7 = 16; 16 − 7 = 9; 7 = 16 − 9). They should realise the effect of adding or subtracting 0. This establishes addition and subtraction as related operations.''

Like I said, ds2 is in reception. His homework tonight was number bonds exactly and missing numbers ie

9 + ? = 10
10-1= ?

And write four ways of getting 5 using number bonds like the example:

4 +1 = 5

LittleNelle Fri 20-May-16 21:53:36

While that is great, it's not actually on the Reception curriculum (EYFS).

fizzbozz Fri 20-May-16 23:49:02

My ds is in reception and we are focusing on one more, one less only as far as 10. The pace seems rather slower than some schools mentioned here, but that's fine for my summer born son, who really just wants to play.

CodyKing Sat 21-May-16 07:31:32

While that is great, it's not actually on the Reception curriculum (EYFS).

yes parents! Stick to the curriculum and only teach your children that!

louisejxxx Sat 21-May-16 07:51:09

I'm pretty sure that number bonds to 20 is one of the statements of year 1, rather than reception.

gatorgolf Sat 21-May-16 08:27:11

My ds did number bonds to 20 in reception as he is good at maths so they pushed him on. Now he is in year one he is redoing the same as he did last year again, would have actually been better if he hadn't done in reception

JustABigBearAlan Sat 21-May-16 08:47:44

Cody I don't think that's what LittleNelle was saying. The op asked what was expected of children by the end of Reception, and she answered! No-one's said children can't go beyond that hmm

LittleNelle Sat 21-May-16 10:46:39

Cody, you're quite welcome to teach your child long division, but it isn't something they need to do for Reception.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 22-May-16 09:48:59

Slower can be better, fizz. It gives time to build a deeper understanding of the key concepts and reasoning skills to give a good foundation.

Number bonds are a key part of maths, but not one I'd want reception to spend too much time on unless they are the next steps for a particular child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now