Looking for prep school in/around manchester

(12 Posts)
Paulweller11 Thu 19-May-16 09:59:45

Hi there, looking for assistance. I'm looking for a prep school for my 7 yr old dd, she'll start Yr3 in September.
Also looking for a nice area, maybe rural or semi rural in which to live in within 30min commute to Manchester city centre.
Any ideas guys?
Thanks

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Thu 19-May-16 10:07:24

Look south - you have Wilmslow Prep, Pownall Hall, Ryleys, Ladybarn then all the primaries attached to secondaries - Stockport Grammar, Kings Macclesfield, Cheadle Hulme School. Then actually in Manchester you have the junior sections of Withington Firls' School and Manchester High. Or if you want up to 13 there's Terra Nova.

To live I'd look at Wilmslow, Bramhall, Knutsford although it's probably more like 45 minutes at rush hour.

You could also look at Trafford, Bowden and Hale both have prep schools.

TheLadyWithTheYellowHat Thu 19-May-16 10:12:10

Wilmslow and bramhall are lovely areas to live, alot of schools round there such as pownall Hall and wilmslow prep, there's kings macc (which I went to and it was an amazing school) and Cheadle hulme, ladybarn, alderly edge school for girls

smellyboot Thu 19-May-16 11:05:11

What the others said really... But watch the commute times. Wilmslow and Macclefield outwards may be longer than 30 min if you going by car. Look at Hale and Bowdon if you want leafy suburb not urban village. Check out school bus services too. Lots of the big privates with secondary schools run bus fleets. Didsbury would offer less commute and decent preps within 15 mins, but bit more urban village than leafy commuter belt.

Paulweller11 Thu 19-May-16 20:19:15

Excellent thank you

smellyboot Thu 19-May-16 23:28:05

Trains v car is also a commuting consideration. The first is way faster than the second. Makes Wilmslow and Mac easier. Unless commuting out of rush hour?

ceeveebee Fri 20-May-16 00:03:09

I live in Bowdon. There are 2 girls prep (Bowdon and Loretto which is Catholic) and 1 coed prep (Hale) (and also a boys prep). There are also two outstanding state primaries. Then later you have 2 girls grammar (altrincham and Loretto (Catholic)) which are non fee paying but selective.
I work in central Manchester and take the tram from altrincham which is a 20 min walk or a 5 min drive/taxi ride (can park at the station) and takes 25 mins to Deansgate.

Property is probably the most expensive in the Manchester area though, on a par with London prices.
You could look at Ashley or Dunham which are more rural and reasonable, but will add a 10 min drive to your morning.

Paulweller11 Fri 20-May-16 07:32:46

I need to be driving unfortunately for my job- but thank you

smellyboot Fri 20-May-16 09:13:05

Do you have any other considerations? Airport / motorways / budget?
North side of city is cheaper and some accessible semi rural areas but nit sure many areas of that type would be only 30min into city. Depends where in the city too and if you having to cross or go round... Can take an age to move a mile at certain times. Different if you starting early or late of course...

Paulweller11 Fri 20-May-16 09:27:20

I need to be in green quarter (I think) nr Victoria station for 845am.
And then need to get to work (unsure of where this will be- possibly Manchester city/greater Manchester)

Sillybillybonker Sat 21-May-16 14:58:08

If you want a 30 minute drive to central Manchester then you will not find a rural or semi rural area. You would be looking at an hour but could try areas of Macclesfield, Poynton, Disley, Stayleybridge, Glossop, outer limits of Hyde.

smellyboot Sat 21-May-16 20:30:34

Glossop way is nice and near the peaks. Others would need to advise on actual commute times tho as traffic can be rubbish...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now