Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Moving schools - getting the timing right

(6 Posts)
littlepeas Sun 15-May-16 20:45:30

We have decided to move our 3dc from their current state primary to an independent school. They are currently in years R, 1 and 2 and obviously are in the final term of the academic year.

I feel quite strongly that ds2 (youngest) needs to start the new school after May half term - I think he will find the transition from R to year 1 too difficult otherwise and possibly blame the change on his new school. He is a very active child, who I believe will find the transition to sitting down more, etc, tough regardless, without the additional factor of a school move. Equally, I feel that ds1 (eldest) may feel happier if he can finish the academic year where he is and prepare himself for the change - he will be one of a number of children that are moving to private schools for juniors, so it seems logical to keep him where he is. We will give dd (middle one ) the choice, I think. They all love the new school and are looking forward to going there, but none of them are unhappy at their current school either.

Ignoring the school run from hell aspect (schools 20 mins drive apart, luckily they start and finish and different times, which gives me half a chance of managing it without using wraparound), does this seem sensible? Or would it I've better to move them all at once, either after half term or in September??

LIZS Sun 15-May-16 20:49:17

September.

KohINoorPencil Sun 15-May-16 21:08:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlepeas Wed 18-May-16 23:26:44

Thank you - after all the angst we have decided to move all 3 after May half term. It is what feels right, so we are just going to go for it.

QuiteQuietly Thu 19-May-16 08:43:13

We also moved after the May half term. It meant they were settled in - knowing people, the building etc. and were able to hit the ground running in September. Also, the last half of summer term is more relaxed with fun activities etc., so a nice to time of year to integrate. In September the teachers are stricter to set boundaries. It worked well for us and I would definitely do it that way again. Hope it all goes smoothly for you!

littlepeas Fri 20-May-16 00:07:51

Thank you Quite - that's what I'm hoping! It was hanging over us all too much and taking over my life a bit, so definitely the right decision just to plough on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now