Talk

Advanced search

Got offered 1st choice primary, would like 2nd

(7 Posts)
MrsPJones Tue 10-May-16 23:55:32

Our son got offered our 1st choice reception place, 6 miles away, because we thought we would be moving to the area. We are now not going to move and would like our second choice school which is our nearest school.

I spoke to our LEA and they advised we cannot be added to the wait list till September, and we will have to apply as an in year admission.

I have re-read the starting school book and found this paragraph:
"Admissions continue until the end of the application year (July 2016). If an on-time application has been submitted, further applications cannot be made until September 2016."

But there is another section that says they can add you to a wait list if you withdraw your first application - I guess that would mean declining the 1st choice offer?

Can anyone clarify what my options are?

Thanks!

tiggytape Wed 11-May-16 09:02:01

There is nothing to stop you from making an application right now for your 2nd choice school (whilst holding on to the offer from your first).
No doubt, you will be rejected because the school is probably full but the process of being rejected means you will then be added to their waiting list in the correct position according to how well you meet the criteria (i.e. fairly high on the list if you live really close to the school or meet sibling or faith or other criteria).

Anyone can apply to any school at any time. It is not the case that you are restricted to one chance per year. I would get the council to confirm in wiring where you stand with this and tell them that you are going to apply immediately for your second choice school. If they refuse to process that application, you may have to take it from there but I don't see how they could refuse.

tiggytape Wed 11-May-16 09:32:08

This is the relevant quote from the Admissions Code 2014:

"Any parent can apply for a place for their child at any time to any school outside the normal admissions round. Parents can apply directly to own admission authority schools"

The Admissions Code is legally binding therefore nothing a council says can overrule it (a council cannot make up its own rules banning multiple applications because the Code says that any parent can apply at any time to any school)

MrsPJones Wed 11-May-16 10:05:46

Fantastic, thanks tiggytape, that is what I need! LA known for making up their own rules in the planning dept too.

MrsPJones Wed 25-May-16 08:09:37

I just wanted update to say, after a phone call quoting the code the admissions department stood firm, but after emailing a request to the head of admissions and also putting a complaint into the LA, we got our son on the wait list. Thanks again tiggytape.

admission Wed 25-May-16 10:57:33

Which just infuriates the hell out of me. You stuck to your guns because you had got some sensible advice and eventually the LA caved in from what they must have known was an untenable legal position, well before you told them. Most people would just assume the LA knew best and accept the situation.
So why do they do these things - not the first time that this has been aired on this site. It seems that there is at times an air of arrogance within some LAs that they can invent their own rules, rather than accept the national legal statutes.

MrsPJones Wed 25-May-16 11:30:37

LA are so arrogant in this case they publish their made up rules in the official LA starting school booklet. I agree, we shouldn't need people like admission and tigytape providing advice in their free time to the self select group of people that use mumsnet. Correct advice should be given to all by every LA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now