Can anyone tell me how this year's SATs compare to the 11+?

(19 Posts)
JustCallMeDory Tue 10-May-16 14:02:30

This is a long shot, but out of pure cat-killing curiosity, has anyone seen yesterday's Reading SATs paper (teachers, TAs?)

If so, can anyone tell me how it compares to the 11+ - about the same level? easier? harder?

mrz Tue 10-May-16 18:13:38

Since these are the first ever new SATs it's difficult to compare until teachers have seen them (this is an interim year so might be completely different next year)

Hoppinggreen Tue 10-May-16 19:19:26

DD scored quite high in the 11+ last year and she says that the SATS are a lot easier - realise that's only a pupils perspective which mght not be what you are after though

JustCallMeDory Tue 10-May-16 19:27:00

Yes, it was a bit of a long shot. I'd just wondered if any teachers invigilating yesterday's reading SATs had experience of the 11+ exams.

Teachers at DCs' school have said that this year's reading SATs seemed harder even than last year's Level 6 paper.

ChalkHearts Tue 10-May-16 19:35:42

Without knowing the pass mark nobody knows how hard this years SATs paper was.

And of course their isn't an 11+ paper. There are lots of thems. All different - and all with different pass marks.

JustCallMeDory Tue 10-May-16 20:21:56

Good point ChalkHearts I guess I was looking for general impressions from anyone who has had experience of both.

mrz Tue 10-May-16 21:11:17

I was administering the tests yesterday and felt the test was OK preferred it to previous. Jungle Book and White Fang tests

angelcake20 Tue 10-May-16 23:23:41

We're not a grammar area but dd took entrance exams for a couple of state and independent schools. She thought the comprehension was on a par with the independent exams (not highly selective schools) but easier than the state selectives. She's not particularly academic but had done quite a few practice papers for the entrance exams and I suspect that gave her a bit of an advantage over her classmates as she wasn't fazed by the level of the questions and was unusual in finishing the paper.

Cleo1303 Wed 11-May-16 15:34:20

I don't know about this year but in previous years they have looked to be much easier than the 11+. My daughter's prep gave the children the SATs test at the end of Year 6 (last year) and she said it was really easy - more like tests in Year 4.

Ashers40 Wed 11-May-16 18:02:13

In theory, even though they are harder this year they should still be easier than the 11+. A child at old 4b level should be able to pass the SATS, whereas you need to be more like a high level 5 for the 11+. It sounded though that the text and vocab in the reading paper and the increased requirement to infer answers from the texts was more 11+ in style. Or that's what I've gleaned from lurking on the TES forum where lots of teachers post. It's a mine of insider info, although they are not allowed to discuss the content of papers explicitly

JustCallMeDory Wed 11-May-16 19:52:54

That's interesting AngelCake - thanks. And that's a good tip, Ashers off to snoop

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Wed 11-May-16 19:56:05

My daughter has sat both this academic year
The vocabulary in the 11+ was more tricky but the overall sats test was harder and much more stressful.
That's what she says anyway!

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Wed 11-May-16 19:57:01

And last years sats were much easier than the 11+ according to ds who sat them last year

SaturdaySurprise Wed 11-May-16 21:12:35

DS is in year 6 and is going to a super selective grammar in September. He says that the SATS so far are easier than the 11+. The 11+, especially the second exams (he did Sutton grammars and Tiffin) are aimed at differentiating between bright children so they have to be hard.

mrz Wed 11-May-16 21:24:53

There is no way the new exemplification equates to the old level 4B more a high 5.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 11-May-16 22:33:21

The 4b was what they said they were aiming for. They missed it by a mile.

AtSea1979 Wed 11-May-16 22:36:06

Haven't seen the SATs but DS found the 11+ easier and got offered a place at the school he sat it.

Cleo1303 Wed 11-May-16 23:33:01

11+ exams vary a lot. I think it depends on the school and also the area you live in.

A number of schools put sample 11+ papers on their websites or will email you some papers prior to the 11+ and I was amazed at the difference. (I have some friends with (academic) first class degrees who were completely flummoxed by some Latymer maths questions.)

JustCallMeDory Thu 12-May-16 17:55:10

Thanks very much DailyMail and others (DailyMail - I suspect this is the worst possible abreviation of your name, but couldn't think of another that wasn't even more insulting wink )

I know that this year's SATs were reputedly a step-change more difficult than last year's - interesting to hear the comparisons from MNers' children who've sat both.

Well done to all your DC who got places after sitting the 11+ too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now