Talk

Advanced search

Year 2 SATs question. SEN

(6 Posts)
hazeyjane Mon 09-May-16 18:04:28

Ds is in year 1, but just wondering what happens about year 2 SATs for a child with SEN?

He is non verbal, so requires a talker or signing to communicate, but has an average non verbal IQ. He has an EHCP and a 1-1 in his ms class (he is in a complex needs resource base, but is doing a gradual move into mainstream)

AtSea1979 Mon 09-May-16 18:07:34

If he can read and write then he'll sit it as usual if he's average IQ.

hazeyjane Mon 09-May-16 19:06:25

Hmm, he is still on red band ORT, it is difficult with reading as he can't say the words and he is still learning to use the talker. He needs help with his writing but he can copy words with support.

Obviously it is not something to be worrying about now, but reading all the stuff about SATs at the moment, and how they are being organised, I wondered how ds would fit in.

mrz Mon 09-May-16 19:59:06

A lot can happen in a year but if can't access the tests he won't be expected to sit them.

ReallyTired Mon 09-May-16 23:01:31

One of my daughter's friends who is nowhere near as disabled is being disapplied from the year 2 tests. The school use teacher assessment instead. No decent school sets a child up to fail.

Thisismynewname123 Tue 10-May-16 12:51:54

My child is in Y2. She has learning difficulties, although not as severe as your DS. However, she has limited reading and writing. I think it depends on the school. We had discussions about my daughter not sitting the SATs because she is "unable to access the paper". They have since taken the view that all children sit BOTH papers, whatever level they are at. Having said that, her reading has come along significantly in just the last month or so. I think she has been getting a lot of extra 1:1 support in the lead up to the SATs, so that she is at least able to read a text in order to attempt the questions. They have said that if necessary, she would be taken to a room on her own with a TA, and the TA would read her the text but would not be allowed to say anything or help at all beyond reading the text. I don't know if this will happen or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now