Talk

Advanced search

Durston House Vs Montpelier Primrary

(6 Posts)
Thisisme1 Mon 09-May-16 14:33:10

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I'm really struggling to decide between state and private school.
It's hard making the right decision when you don't know what the right decision would be at such a young age.
He could just grow and learn and develop perfectly well in MP but he could equally get lost in a big class size. Obviously many factors.
From what I understand - great reputations on both fronts ...... I just would like some advice on what others have experienced.
Any advice welcome!

Chunni240 Thu 26-May-16 10:02:48

Hi there, My DS is at Durston. From my experience I can tell that its a fantastic school. DS had been very happy there. But bear in mind its an extremley academic school and they push the boys a lot, but at the same time they do a lot of sports as well.
I have a few friends who have kids at Montpelier and from what I have heard that it is also a very good school, probably not as academic as Durston. Hope this helps smile

Thisisme1 Fri 27-May-16 18:07:28

Thanks so much for your response

That's probably one element that does worry me. Do you mind me asking if the academic pressure come more from parents or the school?

And although pushes do your honk it's within what your son can handle?

I am all for academics but I wouldn't want my son to feel he was being drowned in work and not enjoying school life....

Thanks so much! Again I appreciate your view.

Chunni240 Fri 27-May-16 20:51:58

The pressure I think is from both ends. It also depends where you want to send DS for senior school. Durston had been known for sending boys to St Pauls and Merchant taylors and both these schools are quiet academic the former more than the latter. So that also adds to the pressure. Some prefer their sons to go to John Lyon and St Bennedicts which are not so academically driven so the pressure is a bit less on those boys.But one thing I can say is that they do teach the kids to work hard and play hard.

Thisisme1 Sat 28-May-16 00:25:31

Great that r helps
I guess it would depend if you were applying to a more academic school.....obviously depends on different abilities and as long as school is fine if you don't want to go for St Pauls etc. Hope they would steer whatever way suits DS?

It sounds as though you are happy overall and like the ethos? And do you have a good network of friends too? Feels more community based than other private schools I have seen....
thanks so much again - promise no more questions!

nothing12 Fri 03-Mar-17 20:28:04

is montpelier that good?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now