Phil & Jims Oxford

(7 Posts)
Kanga59 Sun 08-May-16 19:55:17

insight into this school sought please. how close do you have to live to get in. is it one form entry? What is the demographic. We are toying with the idea of moving to Oxford from Kennington for primary. obvs would get much more house if we moved to abingdon but it's between Abingdon+Manor or P&J. thank you

CommanderShepard Mon 09-May-16 10:35:48

Very good reputation but to be honest, not necessarily borne out by their results. Very naice demographic; a lot of kids leave in year 5 to go private.

Ordinarily I'd say you had no chance outwith catchment or even at the outer fringes but this year they and a fair few other schools in Oxford are undersubscribed. Could just be a birth blip but it's intriguing (my eldest starts school this year and I have unwittingly become the Statto of school intake stats).

SocksRock Mon 09-May-16 15:58:50

It's two form entry, so they offer 60 places each year. If you look on their website, the over subscription criteria are listed so you can work out where you are likely to be on a list.

SunsetGirl Tue 10-May-16 20:31:20

Rather interestingly they were UNDERsubscribed for the incoming reception class and had two places free on allocation day this year.

Take from that what you will.

Also a coworker who has DC there described it as "resting on its laurels a bit" but take that with a grain of salt and do ask current parents how they feel!

SunsetGirl Tue 10-May-16 20:38:10

I see I didn't read the Commander's reply first!

Philjimmum Wed 11-May-16 09:58:51

Name change test

Philjimmum Wed 11-May-16 10:05:04

It's a lovely school!
2 form entry with quite big grounds/AstroTurf
Varied demographic skewed towards upper end of social class I suppose. It's true that there are lots of Oxford professors as parents, doctors, lawyers, psychologists. Also some children on free school meals/ housing association.
A lot of the families live in the modern development around the school (ridiculously overpriced 800k for 3-4 bed terrace).
The play park next to school is full of school parents and kids after pick up so it is very social, easy to meet people.
Lovely community with lots going on. High level of involvement of parents.
Mostly fantastic teachers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now