Anyone gone to an induction day yet?

(15 Posts)
AllTheLightWeCannotSee Sat 07-May-16 19:19:59

Please indulge me, I don't have any friends with school-aged children to talk about this with!

DD's first induction day was on Thursday. I was so so pleased. The teachers were all absolutely lovely. They seemed really calm and gentle (although one was so young! She made me feel ancient).

The school is a bit shabby but it's clean and there's a lovely atmosphere. DD was a little nervous and very glad to come back and get me but she especially enjoyed the home corner and singing with the teacher.

I feel so much more at ease now. It's going to be fine smile

catkind Sun 08-May-16 14:55:47

Yay! We don't even have dates from school for our new starter yet, but that sounds like a great start smile Do you have several settling sessions this term?

DS had a very young NQT in reception too. She was lovely. I remember that first settling in session and just feeling so reassured at her expertise in how she chatted to him and got him settled down in the group even though he was too shy to speak.

SpaghettiMeatballs Mon 09-May-16 07:30:46

We have dates for June..... Can I check did you leave DD at the school or did parents stay?

We are waiting for a letter and just have dates from the school online calendar. I was planning to book my 2 year old DS into nursery as I had thought I would be staying with DD on the first session?? It's on a day I don't work so would normally have him too.

I've just realised I might be misunderstanding this and comparing it to when DD started nursery as a baby and she will stay on her own?

slightlyglitterbrained Mon 09-May-16 07:34:41

Induction day - does that mean actually starting school this term? DS's school do some short (1hr) intro sessions for kids starting reception in September.

SpaghettiMeatballs Mon 09-May-16 14:36:15

Not for us slightlyglitterbrained. DD starts in September but we've been sent details of two half days and a longer day where she will stay for lunch this term.

catkind Mon 09-May-16 15:44:28

It depends on the school. Old school just did kids only sessions, one for an hour and one for a morning. New school told us they do a morning where parents stay and then a later one where parents are encouraged to leave for some of the time.

AllTheLightWeCannotSee Mon 09-May-16 17:56:07

Three induction days, before she starts in August.

We stayed, but not with the children. Instead there was and a Q and A session with the deputy. It was really informative. The next two sessions will be a drop and go- eeek!

SpaghettiMeatballs Mon 09-May-16 18:31:57

Thank you. I think I will book DS into nursery and then I'm free to stay if that's what they want. If it's drop and go I can at least concentrate on her when I collect her.

slightlyglitterbrained Mon 09-May-16 19:28:10

No drop & go for ours, they're for parents too. Maybe because they start them on half days for the first fortnight in September, so have that time for them to settle in?

DS's first session is tomorrow. Hoping it goes well - last visit was when we visited the school before applications, and he cried a lot so hoping he enjoys it this time!

Hope your DDs session goes well Spaghetti!

SpaghettiMeatballs Mon 09-May-16 22:30:33

Thank you slightlyglitterbrained. It will bother me far more than DD if it is drop and go!

Hope he has a nice time tomorrow.

prettybird Tue 10-May-16 19:38:44

You mention starting in August which suggests you're in Scotland.

Ds' primary had two induction "days" (iirc, really part-days --ds is in S4 now--). At the first one, the parents stayed but in a separate room to the kids and were given an induction themselves about how the school operated, the sort of things the children would be doing and how the school-pupil-parent partnership would work. The children were introduced to their teachers and did some P1-type work/play.

At the 2nd, it was "drop and go".

MiaowTheCat Wed 11-May-16 13:01:15

Haven't had any contact from the school whatsoever yet - not really expecting anything until after SATs are over though.

SpaghettiMeatballs Thu 12-May-16 14:24:13

We had a letter today and none of the three sessions are drop and go unless you really can't stay with your child. Parents even get a school lunch on the final session!!

Hersetta427 Fri 13-May-16 10:03:05

Our school doesn't even send out joining information until after sats are done with. Think we got something last year and the end of june for a induction day in Mid July (on move up day).

slightlyglitterbrained Fri 13-May-16 12:46:12

DS enjoyed his session - we were in with one of the reception classes so he stuck fairly close to DP and I (a bit intimidated by all the big kids). Another one next week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now