Talk

Advanced search

Schools in Leicester

(5 Posts)
krustypie71 Wed 27-Apr-16 15:11:23

We're planning on moving back to Leicester to be near friends towards the end of the year. We haven't lived in the city for many years and are at a bit of a loss as to where is best to put down roots for our family home? confused DS is due to start primary school in September 2017 so would really appreciate any advice about good schools in the Leicester city & surrounding areas. I don't drive so would need to be within walking distance of the school & preferably in an area that has good transport links. Am I expecting too much?! We'd originally thought about Stoneygate or Oadby but would like to hear from anyone who has any advice on these and other areas & schools.
Thanks & would really appreciate ANY advice at all! smile

RamblingFar Thu 28-Apr-16 20:49:59

I would always choose to live in one of the surrounding villages - Anstey, Thurcaston, Thurmaston, Ratby, etc. Most have reasonable bus routes and a much nicer atmosphere.

For actual Leicester suburbs/city, in order of preference I'd go -
Oadby, Stoneygate, Wigston, Hamilton, Glenfield, Bistall, Western Parks. I'd avoid any nearer into the city.

Lolly12 Fri 29-Apr-16 12:51:40

I know more about north than south Leicester but I do believe Oadby is decent for schooling. North of Leicester a lot of the village primary schools are either good or outstanding OFSTED rated. I have heard good things from friends about primary schools in Thrussington, Rearsby, woodhouse eaves, Swithland, however all the decent ones are generally over subscribed so take care to look at catchment areas when house hunting.

If you're needing easy transport links into the city then Birstall or Glenfield would be suitable. Both have a villagey feel but only 5-10 minutes from Leicester city centre and also handy for M1. As mentioned Thurcaston is worth a look, i think they have two primary schools. Syston might also be worth considering.

Will you and your other half be commuting to jobs? If so that would be something I would factor in in terms of location.

Moominmammacat Sun 01-May-16 17:52:38

Don't know about schools but Clarendon Park is lovely area near uni. Oadby has great houses.

krustypie71 Wed 04-May-16 11:15:19

Thanks for the advice, folks. We're going to have a look around the villages at the weekend & see if there's anything that stands out. I'd prefer to be in Stoneygate or Oadby but there doesn't seem to be that many decent houses on the market at the moment. Plus, I've heard negative things about Overdale School which is the only school other than the Catholic school in the Stoneygate area.
It's terrifying to think of moving as we are so settled but I think it will be worth it in the long run. We have a lot of friends where we live now but had never planned to stay here. The time to move is now as DS begins school next September so we need to be settled in a new home fairly soon.
I really appreciate any help & advice where is best to settle with a little one xwinkx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now