What to pack for 2 day active residential trip

(29 Posts)
sisiwarwick Mon 25-Apr-16 11:08:55

Hello, my nearly 8 year old DS is going on his first residential school trip to a residential activity centre. We know wellies needed, swimming, kayaking, etc (Gulp!). It may sound daft but what bags do kids take? 1 big bag? A suitcase? A weekend bag and a ruck sack? Any hints tips or wisdom welcome! Thank you x

noramum Mon 25-Apr-16 11:31:19

DD has a residential soon and I think it depends on what they have to take in addition to clothes. We have to send towels, wellies, hiking boots (if they have), a change of clothes for each day plus a set for evening activities inside (jeans, jogging bottoms, fresh socks/underwear etc) so they can ditch the dirty ones straight when coming inside. Plus at least one set of waterproofs, more if they have.

Most take a normal suitcase plus a small backpack. One reason, the teacher explained, while the parent may pack in a space saving manner, most children can't do it. Better pack with some space left over. Also a wheeley suitcase is easier to deal with then dragging a bag from the bus to their bedroom.

Whathaveilost Mon 25-Apr-16 11:37:34

When my lads went away in year 5 they took a rucksack but they were used to backpacking holidays and camps with the Cubs.
However most had a wheelie case.
Anything goes!

OneMagnumisneverenough Mon 25-Apr-16 11:39:38

have they not given you a kit list?

Mine were older and went for longer though they had been on Cub camp etc before that. They were told to bring something they could carry as the place they went to had rough ground unsuitable for wheeled suitcases.

If it's 2 days and one night then allow 2 sets of underwear and maybe an extra pair of socks. If it's likely to be wet or they are doing wet activities then try to avoid cotton trousers/jeans. Tracksuit bottoms are pretty good as they dry fast and don't hold water.

Wellies/hiking boots/old trainers

Waterproof jacket (gloves and hat in the pocket)

A nicer clean set of clothes for the evening

Swim kit

wash kit/toothbrush and toothpaste/hair brush - towel if required

a fleece jacket or zipper (again preferably not cotton)

Old t-shirts

Our had to take sleeping bag and pillow too

MigGril Mon 25-Apr-16 11:46:14

Even on cub camp DD normally takes a holdall type bag as it's easy for them to access stuff and pack. Then a small rucksack as well if they need it. Make sure all clothes are label, send extra, make sure he's packed the bag even if you've got it all together as he needs to know where everything is. Expect him to come back smelly and not having used the extra pants unless they got wet. Oh and very tired he'll be barley function on his first day home feed him bath and bed. This is how DD comes back from camp I dread to think what the boys are like as they sleep even less from what I hear. Mainly due to excitement and they do a good job of wearing them out.

Skippedthelightfandango Mon 25-Apr-16 11:48:40

Send him with plastic bags to put wet stuff in, and teach him what that means! otherwise wet kit will be dropped in his bag on day 1.....And remind him that sopping wet stuff is heavy and if he wrings it out a bit it will be lighter!

Same with towels - what to do with your wet towel to make sure it is nice to use next time!

Also remind him that if he has a wet pair of trainers and he is going to be doing something wet again it is a good idea to wear the wet pair and not his only dry pair.

Or is it just me with kids without sense?

OneMagnumisneverenough Mon 25-Apr-16 12:09:18

Sleeping is what the bus home is for.. grin

BlueChampagne Mon 25-Apr-16 12:45:22

DS1 went on one last week. School gave us a kit list, including boxes to tick as things were packed out and back.

Assume they'll get soaked at least once per day, so several pairs of trousers, ideally not jeans as they take ages to dry. Fleeces, layers, sacrificial trainers/watersports shoes - and a bin bag to bring the wet stuff back in. Sun cream and hat? Any medication required. Put names on the stuff you care about.

Rucksack or suitcase depending on what you have, so long as they can manhandle it (there may be stairs).

Cuddly toy if still popular!

MigGril Mon 25-Apr-16 13:55:56

How could I forget the bin bags for the wet stuff. Cub camp isn't normally that far from home and you pick them up so no sleep on the way home really. So DD has been a zombie once she's got home.

They normally wear wellies or hiking boots on camp for at stuff so she does mange to keep her trainers dry.

Book and pack off cards for any down time they may get if they didn't put that on the list. Plus midnight snacks in case he's extra hungry.

TeenAndTween Mon 25-Apr-16 14:24:40

Something with wheels as he will be expected to carry his bag himself.

Plus a small backpack for the day.

Cuddly toy.

No point packing toothbrush or change of clothes as he won't use them grin

sisiwarwick Mon 25-Apr-16 14:34:09

Thank you all for taking the time to post. All really helpful and kind. DS has been given a kit list, but no indication as what to carry it in. This has been great! Thank you again and have a good week all xxxx

Happymummy007 Mon 25-Apr-16 17:24:39

Echo the comment about jeans - stiffer material so not always so easy to move in. We're currently sorting out clothes for a 4 day residential for our DD and are off to Primark - the girls' leggings are £2.40 a pair and easy to wash, easy to move in and if they get lost/torn etc it's not a disaster. There must be similar for boys there too.

Just assume it will ALL get wet.

Also, he could take some tiny, tiny things in his toilet bag, such as balloons, or a mini torch, for playing with after lights-out. If it's not appropriate for him to have such things they can be easily hidden away, but they can provide some entertainment and distraction, especially if anyone is feeling homesick. I also tend to put daft little messages wrapped up in the clothes, ie "hello" or "what you doing?" - nothing that would be embarrassing if they were seen by someone else, but a reminder of home.

dementedpixie Mon 25-Apr-16 17:27:14

We bought stuff from sports direct for Dd to wear on her residential trip. She took a case

MigGril Mon 25-Apr-16 17:34:06

Kit lists are great for all the basics they will need, but they do sometimes miss the extra bits that will make them feel happy while they are away. Although cubs add a Teddy to the list as well as snacks and cards. I'm sure they do stuff school wouldn't approve of.

Arkwright Tue 26-Apr-16 22:59:02

We have always been asked to send holdall type bags as a lot of places don't have storage for suitcases. I always send a small rucksack too for the coach or minibus.

sisiwarwick Wed 27-Apr-16 10:53:07

This is the first time I have posted on Mumsnet and I am really wowed by the support and advice I've seen. Thank you all. xxx

theshield Wed 27-Apr-16 14:41:05

We brought stuff from sports direct when DD went away with the scouts and she took a backpack.Don't forget to let her take teddy.When Ds went away he insisted that his teddy and stuffed Zombie went too.Don't forget any medicine she may need and take extra undies just incase.I hope she has a goodtime.

Peasandsweetcorn Wed 27-Apr-16 14:51:21

I'd also add some vaseline for chapped lips, plasters for blisters & a packet of tissues.
If they haven't done these sorts of activities before, explain to them how layering of clothes works, that they will get really cold sitting around in wet stuff, that walking around in wet trousers can lead to chafing & walking with wet feet can lead to blisters. If shoes do get wet, stuff them with newspaper & try and find somewhere warm to leave them to try. Likewise, hang up waterproofs to dry. If it is a place with a drying room, there is no point leaving a bundle of stuff in there - it has to be unfolded. In some ways, that is all basic stuff but it took me several outward bound type trips to learn it all whereas friends who had done that sort if holiday with family but had been left to fend for themselves a bit knew what to do & were much drier, warmer and happier than I was. I was mystified how their stuff dried in the drying room when mine didn't!

MidniteScribbler Thu 28-Apr-16 04:09:19

Just organising our school camp at the moment and have a meeting with parents this week about it.

Can I suggest:
Twice as many pairs of socks as you think they'll need.
Make sure there are two pairs of shoes/trainers in case one gets wet. If they aren't able to do up laces easily, then send the ones with the velcro straps.
Extra hair ties. I always take a few packs and end up giving them all away because the parents forget to send spares. Make sure your child can put their hair up in to at least a ponytail on their own.
Don't send jeans, just tracksuit pants or leggings. Quicker to dry.

For any toiletries you send, then make sure they are able to open the packets - none of the child proof lids. Put things in small travel containers - no big shampoos (they won't use it anyway!). Don't send a big cake of soap, it just gets left in the shower or ends up making a mess in the bag.

Don't send any item of clothing that you aren't prepared to lose, destroy, get muddy or wet. No name brands, it only causes a headache when Mummy bails up the teacher upon return wanting to know why the special name brand jacket has mud on it.

Unofficially, make sure there are some snacks in the bag. There will always be a "secret" midnight feast that the teachers know nothing about. wink

Don't send any toys (other than a bedtime cuddle toy), trading cards, legos, balls, electronics, barbies, shopkins or any other item. There are activities planned all day and evening, there is no time to play with them, we already have a full set of sports gear with us, and it just means more to carry (and lose).

Do NOT send your child with their bloody Furby and expect the teachers to keep the damned thing alive. The next idiot that does this will find their stupid creature fed to the penguins. And I'm not even kidding.

Make sure that whatever bag you send with them that they can carry it themselves. Teachers aren't bell-boys. We're taking 70 kids with us to camp, and it's not our job to carry all the bags that are too heavy to be lifted, because the parents over packed. One bag per child.

Optional extra: The parent who came to pick up their child from the bus and handed me a bottle of wine is still my favourite parent ever.

Arkwright Thu 28-Apr-16 05:53:45

Check if snacks are allowed. Our school and brownie leaders search the bags for food including sweets and confiscate them. It clearly says on all the letters not to bring any.

Happymummy007 Thu 28-Apr-16 09:10:30

Furby? Really? Loved that comment (although I feel for you). It's made me chuckle this morning!

MidniteScribbler Thu 28-Apr-16 13:10:24

Yup, I've had a few Furby's. I really can't understand the thought processes of a parent who thinks 'Oh little Sally's Furby, better pack that'. Then they hand it to you when you're trying to pack a bus full of kids and actually warn you that you'd better not let it die or get sad or whatever it is the stupid things do, as if you actually give a fuck about a stupid toy when you're trying to manage 70 children going away from home for the first time.

But I'm kindof hoping one appears next week. I've already told the kids that I will feed it to the penguins if they bring it. I'm a bit interested to see what a penguin will do with a Furby.

Adarajames Thu 28-Apr-16 13:22:32

I think furbies were taken off the penguin diet list as the excess fluff was causing choking hazards. Just a quick heads up for you......

OneMagnumisneverenough Thu 28-Apr-16 13:39:52

I've already told the kids that I will feed it to the penguins if they bring it

You are taking your class to Antarctica?!! shock

MigGril Tue 03-May-16 09:29:57

Our school and brownie leaders search the bags for food including sweets and confiscate them.

Wow your brownie leaders are harsh, in our cubs it's almost compulsory to bring your own sneaks, sweats wouldn't be camp without them. Also they are on the go so much even thought they feed them well I think they often need the extra energy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now