Is anyone familiar with Crowland Primary school? It's locted next to Gladesmore Secondary School N15.

(14 Posts)
MzMummyAstar Thu 21-Apr-16 17:12:21

Hello, can anyone help me please? My DD has been offered a place at Crowland Primary school. It has been registered 'Outstanding' by Ofsted and apparently it's a good school. However I live exactly 2.6 miles away and I was told their catchment was small so I don't understand how she got in. I'm a little worried that it's not really a good school and that's why they accepted her as distance doesn't matter when nobody wants your school.
I am truly hoping that this isn't the case and I would love to hear from any parents who have had a child in that school or knows anyone who has attended or worked there.

Please help as I only want the best education possible for my DD and my knowledge of that school is very limited.

starpatch Thu 21-Apr-16 21:02:51

Hi there I only have my impressions as I visited the school in December. My only reservation was I thought they were using rather a lot of formal learning. Otherwise I would have put it down as I thought it had a very positive vibe lots of great things about it eg the facilities are good swimming pool on site lots of lovely early years activities, separate playgrounds for reception, key stage 1 and key stage 2. Yes it's an outstanding school but was told it's under subscribed so slightly smaller classes (eg 27).
Hope that helps know a couple of other schools near here may be under subscribed again so PM me if you want the other schools details. Crowlands is a bit cut off river on one side, railway line on the other near border with hackney that may explain why undersubscribed

starpatch Thu 21-Apr-16 21:16:39

Forgot to say the results are great grin

MzMummyAstar Fri 22-Apr-16 10:59:03

Thank you Starpatch, that information has really helped.

I'm waiting to find out when I can visit. Hopefully that will help put my mind at rest.

MzMummyAstar Fri 22-Apr-16 10:59:06

Thank you Starpatch, that information has really helped.

I'm waiting to find out when I can visit. Hopefully that will help put my mind at rest.

notagiraffe Fri 22-Apr-16 11:03:46

My experience is years out of date but I did some freelance teaching there a while ago, running a club, and thought it was a wonderful school. So friendly, so positive, fantastic ethos, great staff. They knew all the children by name. They had great G&T policies in place. I remember thinking I'd send my DC there. Sounds like it has stayed strong all these years which is very good to hear.

MzMummyAstar Fri 22-Apr-16 13:19:51

notagiraffe

Thank you so much for describing your experience from working there. It's really refreshing to hear how highly you think of the school. This really helps to put my mind at ease to hear from someone who has had such a personal experience. I'm, happy that so far all of the feedback has been positive. I just hope and pray my DD is happy there and she thrives.

Rosebud05 Sun 24-Apr-16 18:22:12

Another reason that its application/pupil numbers are low is that it's bang in the middle of the Hasidic Jewish community in Stamford Hill, who send their children to Jewish schools.

What1984 Sun 24-Apr-16 22:15:49

Given the amount of posting on these threads from people who have the issue that despite living really close to a school they cant get in, its understandable that you might be a bit spooked by a school with an offer radius of at least 2.6 miles.

BUT

You can be a an excellent school - in this case Ofsted outstanding it would seem, and not be able to fill from children close to if for some reason the children are just not there.

in this case the Hasidic factor is certainly part of the explanation, but why not ask the school? There may also be a local shortage of non hasidic children of reception age.

Rosebud05 Mon 25-Apr-16 09:45:10

Because the school may not give a balanced account of itself What1984 or because its priorities may be different to those of parents?

What1984 Mon 25-Apr-16 10:16:27

Well clearly you would expect any school to give a positive account of itself, although, in my experience most community schools combine this with honesty, (and for that matter Faith Schools, which is not the case here, are usually absolutely upfront about their ethos). It just seemed to me that if a school has an "Outstanding" OfSted and was recruiting children from some distance, it could be worth asking them why.

And, as I suggested, one (good) answer could be a local shortage of children in the relevant age group, combined, possibly, with an unusually low sibling year.

Rosebud05 Mon 25-Apr-16 12:50:01

The school isn't going to say 'we achieved our 'Outstanding' rating by managing out children with SEN and reducing the curriculum so that the children become skilled at passing tests but don't actually learn how to learn independently' though are they?

A friend of mine's child was managed out of Crowland in this way about 4 years ago (turned out to be a blessing in disguise as she thrived at her new school). Not suggesting that this is the situation now.

MzMummyAstar Fri 29-Apr-16 11:55:53

What1984 and Rosebud05 - Thank you so much for your contribution to this discussion. Especially the point made about the Hasidic factor.
I've tried to make an appointment with the school so I can visit and ask questions. Hopefully I'll be able to visit there soon and put my mind at ease. It's just so hard not having much input into which school my DD will be attending.

Rosebud05 Fri 29-Apr-16 14:20:29

You'll feel much better about it when you've looked round the school and met a few staff etc.

Because of its location, I don't think it's every been oversubscribed, so it's not as though word has got round and people are choosing not to send their children there now or anything like that.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now