Advanced search

Keep in nursery attached to school until a reception place comes up?

(23 Posts)
Needmorewine Wed 20-Apr-16 20:59:46

Has anyone done this? DD is not 5 until April 2017. We are on the edge of the catchment of the school attached to her nursery which she is so happy at and we just love but missed out on a place.

As she doesn't legally have to start until after she turns 5 if a place hasn't come up by September would I be ok to keep her in school nursery until one comes up? It's a 3 form entry so quite a lot of scope for movement and in the current reception intake three students had left by Xmas, places still not been filled...She's fairly young for her age emotionally so I think it would work out fairly ok to give her the extra terms at nursery.

I would much rather do this than send her to the school we have been allocated then moved her back again - thoughts ? Anyone done this / planning to do the same ? Or can the school nursery say no ?!

RicStar Wed 20-Apr-16 21:06:54

Hopefully you won't need to and all will sort itself before september out but yes you can defer entry until the term after your Dd turns 5 and keep her in nursery.

Needmorewine Wed 20-Apr-16 21:19:49

Thank you ric I'm keeping everything crossed a place comes up between now and Sept but I was just pondering if this could work as plan b in case it doesn' idea where we are on the waiting list at the moment so if we are in with a chance or not sad

The last three years we would have easily been in catchment, so frustrating.

TheSuspiciousMsWhicher Wed 20-Apr-16 21:28:39

It sounds like it might be a gamble worth taking in your case. Make sure you defer entry at your allocated school and then sit tight and hope a spot at your preferred school becomes available.

But the school nursery can say no to this plan, yes. They may well already be full for September so you will need to contact them as a matter of urgency to make sure they have space for her. But you will still get your free 15 hours a week until she starts school.

A word of caution though, do consider what will happen if a place doesn't come up by summer term next year. What will you do then? Start her at the school were you deferred the place? Homeschool? Just because there was movement on the waiting list last year doesn't mean it's guaranteed this year.

Needmorewine Wed 20-Apr-16 21:44:50

Hi suspicious thank you. I hadn't thought about deferring the one she had been offered will make sure I do this.

Ok I will get onto school nursery tomorrow and take it from there. If she doesn't get a place by summer term I honestly don't know, probably the sensible thing to do would be to move her to the one we have been allocated feeling that bit more confident she was that much older and better placed to cope (is much bigger school). Or possibly enquire at some of the other schools round here for an in year admission (are some fabulous schools that we are just not in catchment for but I guess we could get lucky?!) the admissions lady kept telling me there is always a huge amount of movement between when offers first go out and which children actually start where in sept.

Or I suppose last ditch could enquire about private schools (we looked into this originally but then decided against due to cost)

Argh. I realise we are no more entitled to a school place than anyone else but I so wanted our first choice for DD stamps foot

PanelChair Thu 21-Apr-16 09:18:59

How much of a gamble this is will depend on where you are on your preferred school's waiting list, which you should be able to find out in early May. Are there any other schools you'd be willing to accept? If so, you could join their waiting lists too.

drspouse Thu 21-Apr-16 15:06:44

If you are thinking of applying to other schools that you may prefer over the allocated school, you can also go on their waiting list now.

I assume (though someone else will back me up on this I hope) that if you were allocated a place at a nice school that wasn't your nursery school, you could accept that (in preference to your allocated school) but then ALSO defer that place till April?

Needmorewine Thu 21-Apr-16 18:30:25

Turns out the pre school don't think she should stay in there in Sept if no space in reception is available. Argh. However admissions lady did tell me that three people from waiting list have already got in and the school have never once had a full intake of 90 start in the September there has always been at least one vacant place as sometimes places come up very last minute and by then parents have decided to go with another choice . Her advice was to hold out on the waiting list...

smellyboot Thu 21-Apr-16 20:36:18

So much depends where you are. At our school, loads don't actually take up their offers and people move. Loads get in on waiting list.several join in YrR. massively sort after school, but transient area and so go private.
Accept your allocation and sit tight if your school is similar

Dizzyingly Thu 21-Apr-16 20:38:08

Just joining in to say I feel your pain needmorewine. We are in practically the same situation and it is so so frustrating. Just hoping the waiting list moves!

my2bundles Thu 21-Apr-16 21:07:50

I'm not sure a school nursery would allow you to keep a child n the wrong year group. My own dd was held back a year in nursery but that is because she had severe special needs, a statement in place and the backing of several health care proffesionals, plus we also had a fight on our hands to make it happen.

Needmorewine Thu 21-Apr-16 21:39:36

<Passes wine to Dizzy>

my2 to be honest it hasn't really occurred to me then I read an article about children not having to start school now until after they turn 5 so I just wondered if we could make it work with keeping her in the one she is in for a bit longer, but I can understand why they aren't keen.

smellyboot Fri 22-Apr-16 07:17:34

The problem is that in Sept the nursery will be focusing on the needs and development of 90 odd 3/4 year olds, many of whom will never have been left in any child care settings. The first weeks will be very basic stuff about sitting still, learning through play for 3-4 year olds just starting out, eating lunch, sharing, routines etc They will follow EYFS curriculum.
They will start learning concepts such as sounds and numbers at some point.
They probably take the view that she's been through that process for a year already and would be bored and they can't have a separate key group just for her.
They may think she'll be confused by all her friends going to reception and not her - often it means moving buildings ?

Needmorewine Fri 22-Apr-16 07:53:14

Hi smelly yes that completely makes sense - I can see why it wouldn't work. I'm just keeping everything crossed a place comes up at our preferred school/schools (have two I loved!) pre September or fairly early on in the term . We are booked to go in and have another look at a private school which I have been too before which is a lovely school, she could start full time in Sept but argh the money.... We could do it but would mean me working FT to fund it and possibly no DC2...argh !!!

BertrandRussell Fri 22-Apr-16 07:58:27

Why don't you like the school you have been offered?

Needmorewine Fri 22-Apr-16 08:11:12

We just didn't get a very positive vibe when had a look round. On paper it's fine, ofsted rated good but I just can't say we really liked it. The other schools had a much nicer vibe, walkable etc whereas this one is a drive. There are three schools that are actually nearer to us which we all applied for and are on waiting list, high sibling year I suppose .

Mouseinahole Fri 22-Apr-16 08:28:38

What is your position on the waiting list? It sounds hopeful.
An August born child in dgs' year was in your position and did get a place in Reception the following year. I'm not sure whether he will eventually have to join his official year group though which might be difficult.

Needmorewine Fri 22-Apr-16 08:34:26

Apparently we will find out where we are on waiting list end of May. In the meantime I am just going to keep pestering !

smellyboot Fri 22-Apr-16 23:20:18

All sounds very familiar to our area. There is a less popular school 5 -10 mins drive away from the three or four most popular schools, that is good but not as desirable. I'd recommend going there unless a place comes up sooner. Your DC can be excited about transition to school etc If you're still not happy, move her later on. If the state school has a good rating it won't be a disaster - I know loads that did this. Save your cash

smellyboot Fri 22-Apr-16 23:27:03

I should add my DC1 had 6 children john her class between starting reception and the end of yr 1 and then another in yr2. All settled straight in. No trauma about school move

Needmorewine Sat 23-Apr-16 06:44:52

Hi smelly yes I think this is what we will do in the meantime unless a place comes up . The private primary was lovely but I just don't think we can afford it, silly to have even looked really . That's reassuring to know your DC had that many children join, thank you .

Buttercupsandaisies Sat 23-Apr-16 18:30:44

If three people have already got in since placed have been allocated then they must have some sort of waiting list now surely? So if people leave are they keeping those placing vacant til end if may? Seems odd as our school offers places to those declined from day 1 of offers based on who missed out during initial allocations

Buttercupsandaisies Sat 23-Apr-16 18:32:35

For example my friend didn't get her Ds in and rang up the day after allocations and was told he was 8th on the list. Position on the list Jay change as people request up go on it etc but still they must know now what your position is at this time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now