Talk

Advanced search

On waiting lists, should I still appeal?

(12 Posts)
wibb Wed 20-Apr-16 12:19:18

Hi there, just joined! :D

We live 320 metres from our top choice school and the child furthest away from the school they gave a place to was 331m. This doesn't seem right to me and I called the school and found out he's literally number one on the waiting list which is GREAT!!!! :D :D but should I still decline the place at the other school and appeal?

I have checked the distance I have from house to school is correct and it is definitely 331, is that unlawful of the LEA?

I live in a very oversubscribed area (as you can tell) but am within 800m to 3 different schools. My son was offered a place at a school 2 miles away. I don't have access to transport and also can't use public transport for various reasons so a school has to be reasonable walking distance.

t4gnut Wed 20-Apr-16 12:22:33

Whose measurement are you using? And check where the school is measuring the distance from - it'll be in their admission criteria.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Wed 20-Apr-16 12:28:27

Did the council tell you that they measure your address as 320? It varies from school to school how they measure (as in is to the front school gate or to the centre of the school site etc) so using a Google maps type measurement won't necessary tally up with the 'official' one.

SecretSpy Wed 20-Apr-16 12:31:34

What they said ^^

And it's usually very unwise to decline the place offered. You can appeal (if you feel you have grounds) for the other school but still accept the offered place.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Wed 20-Apr-16 12:32:40

You need to find out what admission category you were placed in: sibling link, distance etc
It maybe that the child further from the school than you was actually in a higher priority admission category and not admitted solely on distance.
If you were placed in the incorrect category you may well be able to appeal but this would probably be an ICS (class size) appeal which are notoriously hard to win
I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along very soon

Hersetta427 Wed 20-Apr-16 12:54:42

DO you have a school that is nearer to you than your number 1 choice? It could be that you are in category 6 and the person who was offered a place at 331m in category 5 so even though they live further away from you they are in a higher priority category.

NynaevesSister Wed 20-Apr-16 13:37:40

Don't decline the offered place. Accept it - this won't affect your position on a waiting list or your appeal.

The school admissions use a more accurate measurement than you are likely to be able to use. Are you using Google Maps? It measures distance fairly roughly -usually from the edge of your postcode. So it is possible that, if your house is at the end of the street, Google maps will be showing a shorter distance.

The tool the school uses will measure from a specific spot (at our school this is the office gate) to the edge of the drive/front path. If resident in a block of flats then pupils on lower floors are deemed closer than pupils on higher floors.

However mistakes are made so you need to ask how they measure and what they use to measure.

For instance, if it is by safe walking route, and they haven't included a pathway even though the council had put in lighting before the applications deadline (before it was unlit and therefore deemed safe).

NynaevesSister Wed 20-Apr-16 13:37:53

*deemed unsafe

tiggytape Wed 20-Apr-16 14:27:22

If the school agree that you live 320m away and someone who lives 331m away got a place, that might be a mistake.

But it might not be:
As everyone says, if you are basing any of this on our own measurements it will not count. The LA has highly accurate software that calculates every distance down to fractions of a metre using the same datum points each time to ensure accuracy. Nothing you can do at home will recreate that.

The council knows which routes it permits and which it does not if it uses shortest walking route. You cannot just pick the shortest route, it also has to comply with council regulations about safety

The other child may have got a place because they are adopted or have additional needs and they would have got that place whether they lived 331m or 331miles away. Some things take priority over distance and perhaps this child comes into one of the higher categories?

It should be simple enough to query all of this with the council (they won't tell you about other children but will be able to tell you how your position was calculated)

If you do decide to appeal (even if no error is found) then do not reject your current offer. You are in a good position at number 1 on the list but it's not a guarantee and if you turn down what they have offered, they aren't obliged to find you an alternative.

NynaevesSister Wed 20-Apr-16 14:52:19

But surely if the child who was further away got in because they were adopted for instance, then they would be in a different category to the On distance category?

prh47bridge Wed 20-Apr-16 15:09:55

But surely if the child who was further away got in because they were adopted for instance, then they would be in a different category to the On distance category

Yes, but if you ask the distance for the child furthest away from the school you aren't asking about categories. You are asking for the distance regardless of category. That may be the last child admitted on distance or it may be the LAC child who went in the highest admission category and for whom distance was not a consideration. What the OP really needs is the distance for the last child admitted.

NynaevesSister Wed 20-Apr-16 15:40:40

Ah I assumed she had asked for distance of last child admitted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now