Talk

Advanced search

Just found out school to be 4 form entry on day I hear about Primary place.

(20 Posts)
iMogster Mon 18-Apr-16 14:37:17

My eldest son is in Primary school, it was 2 form entry since it was built in the 70s. It has just been extended to 3 form entry for September 2015. 3 beautiful new reception classrooms in a row with their own toilets/ cloakrooms and with joint outside space. They are just getting used to a larger intake.
I have just been told via email that this year, September 2016 will now take a bulge class and will be 4 forms.
AIBU to feel annoyed and worried? The school is used to taking 60, but will take 120 this coming September. I don't know if my DS will be in the new wing or how the increase will effect his year.

DiggersRest Mon 18-Apr-16 14:40:17

I would but l think iwbu too!

Dd1 school took 32 over 2 classes which l think is great.

irvineoneohone Mon 18-Apr-16 14:51:28

I don't think it will affect other year groups. My ds's school have few bulge years, but it doesn't really matter to his year group. As for 4 entry, I think it's a good thing for children in that year group, more chance of finding like minded friends, children with same level of attainment etc.

ElgartheCat Mon 18-Apr-16 14:54:15

There is a shortage of places, and a baby boom. The kids have to go somewhere. Just be grateful that your DS got a place in the school

t4gnut Mon 18-Apr-16 14:54:20

Not really anything to be concerned about.

TheRadiantAerynSun Mon 18-Apr-16 15:11:26

Hmm, DS's infant and junior school is 4 form entry and it's a great school and really uses the additional size to leverage efficienies and planning and resources (in partnership with other local schools too.) but I would want ask questions about how a rapidly growing school was planning on coping with such a sudden increase.

slicedfinger Mon 18-Apr-16 15:14:02

If the school is well managed, and the teachers enthusiastic and co-operate well with each other it really should not be a problem. All Primary schools are expanding to 4 form in my area, unless there is physically (legally) not room.

iMogster Mon 18-Apr-16 15:44:42

Thanks for comments and reassurance. Yes I am very lucky to get my nearest school.
I guess I'm mainly worried about the fact it's a bit like a double bulge as they're used to being 60, then 90 for only 1 year (which was all planned and the school laid out accordingly) and then suddenly they are asked to be 120 from September.

NynaevesSister Mon 18-Apr-16 15:51:12

Having been through something similar, provided there is plenty of space, you won't notice the difference.

At son's school we did have one year of overcrowding as the builders were so useless the new wing took two years instead of one. But it was fine once there were enough classrooms.

redskytonight Mon 18-Apr-16 16:23:53

DD's school is 4 form entry. It provides for opportunities you don't get in smaller school. I also wouldn't worry about the school not coping as not used to it - it's actually likely that everyone will be focussed on the large Reception intake (potentially to the detriment of other years in the school).

Foxyloxy1plus1 Mon 18-Apr-16 17:37:56

Would you feel differently if your child didn't get a place at your preferred school, because the PAN remained at 90.

Of course there are negatives around a bulge class- increased traffic, temporary buildings and building disruption, problems for residents near to the school and so on.

Bear in mind that this may not have been the choice of the school, but the LA could insist. If the school is sufficiently over subscribed, to create a further 30 places, then 30 families will presumably be pleased that their child will have a place at their first choice school.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Mon 18-Apr-16 17:39:10

Economies of scale too. Facilities and resources may well benefit in the long term.

wonkylegs Mon 18-Apr-16 17:46:35

DS ended up in a bulge class (3 & 1/2 form entry) when we moved house. I was really worried as we had come from a tiny school.
I needn't have its been fab. The management team have been on the ball and despite having to do some juggling and adjustments to accommodate them they have settled in well. The great thing is that they can mix them up and have classes that can adjust for ability so that those that need pushing in maths or literacy can be pushed, those needing extra help can also be helped. Oh and the numbers of kids singing means that the school carol concert always sounds good as the sheer numbers make up for any tunelessness!

Jules125 Mon 18-Apr-16 20:33:33

My daughter is in a reception year with a bulge class at a 4 form entry school, so one of 150 children in her year. She is absolutely loving it and doing well. Most of the us love the idea of small schools, but the economies of scale of a bigger school have benefits too. This is also a school that keeps on expanding, so was much smaller not so very long ago.

The only drawback I see is the congestion around the school at drop-off and pick-up. I can live with that.

iMogster Mon 18-Apr-16 21:37:43

As they are expecting more congestion at drop off and pick up, they are putting in a crossing.

ReallyTired Tue 19-Apr-16 00:46:47

I think your post has a touch of nimbyism. Those children need a school place somewhere.

An expanding school will have building work and possibly spare classrooms until it is three form entry all the way through. It is in a better position to cope with a bulge class. I imagine the long term plan is to have a pan of 90.

mouldycheesefan Tue 19-Apr-16 13:21:43

Our school was 120 entry bulge year for the year my children joined. It hasn't been an issue. they are having another 120 bulge year on entry for this year too. Dinner hall is crowded though.

iMogster Sun 01-May-16 21:39:40

I have just found out that another Primary school near me will be going down from 4 form to 2 form entry. PAN 120 down to PAN 60 ongoing from Sept 2016. As siblings have a priority and usually intake is 50% siblings, this means they will only take siblings for 2016 and probably 2017 etc. All the first (eldest) children near this school won't get in there. The good news for them is that the bulge year at my son's school, means they are getting a place here instead.

TheSconeOfStone Sun 01-May-16 22:24:29

Our local school went from 2 to 3 form entry just as we were offered a place. I was concerned about the space issue and how it would work.

Foundation year was chaotic as they didn't finish the new classrooms until halfway through the Summer term then they all moved over to a Foundation/YR1 unit. The school is Victorian and the playground is starting to feel very congested with another 3 years to go until each year is 3 form. The canteen had to move and this is very tight and crowded. Corridors and exits all very tight with the volume of children.

I've had to move my two as DD1 has ASD and SPD and the school is too noisy and crowded for her. This wasn't on our radar when she was 4 and came as a surprise. Luckily I can drop them at smaller school near my work although I'm sad they don't walk to school with the other kids in the street anymore.

I don't feel the big school offered any opportunities that the new smaller school hasn't.

smellyboot Sun 01-May-16 23:46:31

I really wouldn't worry. We love our big school!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now