Appeal documents??

(6 Posts)
Secretloverofsparklystuff Mon 18-Apr-16 12:05:46

So....the same as a lot of people today, my son didn't get into our preferred school. I have replied to the email to be reconsidered for the school we want and we will be appealing. But I'm wondering if any of you know what documents I will need to back up my appeal.
The situation we are in, is that we have a child in the school already, so I can't be in 2 places at the same time. My older child who already attends the school has additional needs, so we don't want to disrupt his education by moving him away from his support network. But our younger child has no additional needs that are apparent at the moment anyway, so would the documents relating to our older child's needs be any good to back us up in appealing for the younger child?
The only other solution is to pick which one goes in late everyday and is picked up early everyday, that won't harm their education right? hmm

meditrina Mon 18-Apr-16 12:09:56

You need to start by checking a few things.

Did they put your DC2 into the correct admissions category, and does the distance they have for home-school seem right?

Does the school have an exceptional medical/social need category at all, and if so did you apply under this, on the grounds of DC1's additional needs? Was the application for consideration of exceptional need properly considered?

TeenAndTween Mon 18-Apr-16 12:23:02

In case you do end up in separate schools, you need to think flexibly:
Can you use a breakfast club / after school club.
Can you use a childminder for pick up drop offs.
Can the child's other parent (you say 'our' and 'we') shift working times to do one of the drop offs.

What is the distance between the two schools?
What year is older child in?
Depending on the additional needs, is it really not viable to move older child? Is he not in the nearest catchment school? If not, what did you think would happen for your younger one?

PatriciaHolm Mon 18-Apr-16 12:29:43

As Medtrina says, firstly make sure that the details they have for you are correct, and your child was considered under the correct category - for example , does the criteria give priority to siblings, and were you considered under that category?

A key thing then you need to know is whether the appeal will be held under ICS, Infant Class Size, rules. Is the intake 30 (or a multiple of it) in reception? Then the appeal will be ICS, as there is a legal limit to 30 per class in reception, y1 and y2.

This makes it very hard to win an appeal. You can only win on one of 3 grounds -
- the admissions authority made a mistake which directly cost you a place (hence checking the distances/grounds as mentioned above)
- the admissions criteria are unlawful
- the decision not to admit was "unreasonable" - the criteria for which is a decision so perverse no sensible person would have made it. The bar for this is very high.

Your OP doesn't suggest you have any grounds that would win you an ICS appeal I'm afraid; parental transport issues are not considered grounds to appeal.

tiggytape Mon 18-Apr-16 12:31:41

The first question to consider is whether the appeal will be infant class size i.e. will admitting your child cause the school to have a class with over 30 children in Reception, Y1 or Y2 at some point while your child is in infants?

If the admission number is a multiple of 30 it will be infant class size. It is likely to be infant class size if the admission number is 15 or 45. If the appeal is infant class size your chances of a successful appeal are exceptionally slim unless you can show that there has been an admissions mistake that directly deprived your child of a place that should have been theirs. You can appeal even if you can't show that but unless a mistake has been made, an infant class size appeal is a very long shot.

If the appeal is not infant class size (eg class sizes are all 25 or 26 and never mixed) then it will be a standard appeal where the panel consider whether prejudice (meaning harm or disadvantage) to your child through not being admitted to the school outweighs the prejudice the school will face through being forced to admit another pupil.
You should concentrate on anything about the preferred school which shows it best meets your child’s needs or interests. Do not be negative about the allocated school though - you are appealing for one school not against the allocated one. Childcare and transport logistics are rarely helpful at these appeal unless they relate to a child’s medical needs eg mobility difficulties for example and are not usually considered at all under the iCS rules unless they relate to an erro (eg you told the council about mobility issues for category 2 and they ignored this conformation and placed your child in category 4).

As it stands, and assuming 30 per class, the chances of winning an appeal are I'm afraid very slim. The 'two places at once' problem is now reasonably common and parents are expected to cope with that through childcare arrangements.

Secretloverofsparklystuff Mon 18-Apr-16 15:31:34

Thanks everyone, kinda knew that would be the case but was hoping someone might know some loop hole I could jump through lol
Schools are about a mile apart the preferred one being further, my older child went there originally as his older siblings did, since being there the additional needs have been diagnosed and support put in place with the help of this school. We're not in a position financially to use breakfast or out of school clubs as I am a stay at home mum, (I need to be on hand for our other son, who has aspergers and regularly need to go into his school to deal with issues etc) so only one income, hubby works in a uni so is tied to set working hours.
Fingers crossed someone will have been allocated a place they no longer want and we get in on them grounds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now