Talk

Advanced search

school admissions

(13 Posts)
khadija2187 Sun 17-Apr-16 21:05:05

Hi guys, my first time posting on here and i really need some advice as i am
so stressed. My daughter has not recieved a place at any of the 3 preferences that i put down and has been offerd a place at another school which i didnt even put down. My question is, do i go straight to an appeal or do i go on the school waiting list and hope that she gets a place? after reading online i feel really disheartned tht we would win an appeal based on a reception place. Also i was meant to be informed of the decision by post on friday as other parents from the school received the decision so I'm not sure what to do as i havent received anything like the other parents? tia x

VegasIsBest Sun 17-Apr-16 21:14:38

How do you know which school she's been offered if you haven't received notification??

khadija2187 Sun 17-Apr-16 21:24:25

i checked online, i logged into the account i made when i originally made the admission.

TimeOfGlass Sun 17-Apr-16 21:30:41

You can go on the waiting lists and appeal at the same time.

But appeals are hard to win for reception.

prh47bridge Sun 17-Apr-16 21:33:43

As TimeOfGlass says you do both. Your daughter is probably already on the waiting lists for your preferred schools. You can appeal as well although it will be very difficult to win if it is an infant class size case (most appeals for Reception fall into this category) as you would have to show that a mistake has been made that has cost your daughter a place.

If your letter doesn't turn up in the next couple of days you should contact the council and tell them it has gone missing.

tiggytape Sun 17-Apr-16 21:39:44

As with all school admissions, the advice is to accept the place you have been offered. That way you have a guaranteed school place for your child. If you reject it, the council is not obliged to find an alternative and you'd need to rely on waiting lists, home schooling or private schooling.

Secondly your letter should arrive soon. The council cannot help it if some post takes longer than others but, if you don't get it by mid week, ring and ask. You ideally want to check that there's been no error. So ask: what category was my child placed in (eg no sibling, distance criteria) and "what was the last distance offered to a child in that category?"
That way you can double check they had your address correct and didn't miss out any special priority (eg sibling priority you may have had).

Assuming it's no error and lots of people this year had siblings or lived closer than you, you can ask to go on the waiting lists for all 3 schools. Your position on each list depends on how well you meet the admissions criteria eg if you live close to a school, you'll probably be high up their list

You can appeal as well as wait. The waiting lists and appeals are separate things. IN terms of chances of success, the first question to consider is whether the appeal will be infant class size i.e. will admitting your child cause the school to have a class with over 30 children in Reception, Y1 or Y2 at some point while your child is in infants?

If the admission number is a multiple of 30 it will be infant class size. It is likely to be infant class size if the admission number is 15 or 45. If the appeal is infant class size your chances of a successful appeal are exceptionally slim unless you can show that there has been an admissions mistake that directly deprived your child of a place that should have been theirs. You can appeal even if you can't show that but unless a mistake has been made, an infant class size appeal is a very long shot.

If the appeal is not infant class size it will be a standard appeal where the panel consider whether prejudice (meaning harm or disadvantage) to your child through not being admitted to the school outweighs the prejudice the school will face through being forced to admit another pupil. You should concentrate on anything about the preferred school which shows it best meets your child’s needs or interests. Do not be negative about the allocated school though - you are appealing for one school not against the allocated one. Childcare and transport logistics are rarely helpful at appeal unless they relate to a child’s medical needs eg mobility difficulties for example and again all of these types of arguments only really apply to reception classes with 24-29 children, not ones with 30 children.

smellyboot Mon 18-Apr-16 08:35:37

Contact the LA at some point today and ask where you are on the waiting list for your preferences. Did you put schools down that you were sure you would have a chance of a place at? Don't dismiss your allocated school either. I know several people in your position who within 6 months loved their allocated schools.

Jenny70 Mon 18-Apr-16 08:51:32

I think most people jump to the "should I appeal" mindset very quickly.

Wait a few days for your letter, phone the contact to check the details of the last offered place to make sure there was no error (ie. furtherest place was 1.2miles, but you live 0.8 miles under that same category). Then look at your options - it is soooo stressful, but you need to try and give yourself some headspace to think.

Perhaps visit the school that you have been offered... you might find it ticks boxes you didn't know about.

Most likely you will need to accept this place and go on waiting lists for preferred schools. You may think an error has been made and try to appeal.

But please realise an appeal is a very stressful process, and you won't win unless they have made an error - saying you put preference A, B and C and got school D won't come close to winning an appeal. Many deserving cases, that you would think would win, don't win...

FishWithABicycle Mon 18-Apr-16 08:59:12

You need to accept the place you have been offered, this does not damage the prospects for success of any effort you put in to get a better offer. Rejecting the place you have been offered is never a good idea unless homeschooling or paying for private are realistic options for you.

Find out where you are on the waiting lists for your preferred schools. In most areas there will be some movement on waiting lists as some of the families who got assigned other schools may be dithering about whether to choose private, or required to move areas for work, or on the waiting lists of more distant schools which they eventually get into due to similar reasons.

Visit the school you have been offered. It may be OK. Oftsed reports and local reputation can be very inaccurate representations of what a school is really like.

khadija2187 Mon 18-Apr-16 16:43:59

Thank you for ur replies ladies, i just wanted to ask 1 more thing.i havw worked out the distance from the schools i put down as my preference and it is actually closer to me than the school that has been offered to me..could this be a grounds for appeal

LIZS Mon 18-Apr-16 16:50:06

No because presumably there were too many meeting higher priority criteria or living closer to enable them to offer a space to your dd. The allocated school was probably nearest with space. Find out which category for each school you were and the furthest child admitted in that category. Unless a mistake was made denying your dd a place you are very unlikely to succeed.

TimeOfGlass Mon 18-Apr-16 17:02:05

No, your preferred schools being closer than the offered school is not a ground for appeal. Unfortunately children not getting into their closest school(s) isn't uncommon, especially in densely populated areas.

smellyboot Mon 18-Apr-16 17:26:36

That is not a grounds for appeal at all. It's irrelevant if all your preferences had more children that qualified than you for a place. I suggest reading up again on how it all works

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now