Talk

Advanced search

How many Kumon sheets in Reception

(82 Posts)
twins2004 Wed 13-Apr-16 19:54:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ReallyTired Wed 13-Apr-16 20:08:14

Cut out the Kumon. It's not relevant to the English curriculum.

If you want to do extra maths then the Singapore early bird kindergarten book B is better. I have to admit that I am shocked how expensive it has become.

www.amazon.co.uk/Earlybird-Kindergarten-Mathematics-Textbook-Standards/dp/0761470166/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=512VhdGpY0L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR123%2C160_&refRID=1K190G2PK0CRKX56B2T4

I have no idea what this book is like but it's by the same author and a lot cheaper.

www.mathsnoproblem.co.uk/mathematics/primary-key-stage1-and-key-stage-2/maths-no-problem.html

Small children need hands on experience to promote understanding. I got dd to make bracelets with beads to understand number bonds. I got her to do lots of counting. Archimedes Roost is a good iPad game with montesouri activites.

Five years old is too young for death by worksheet.

GreenMarkerPen Wed 13-Apr-16 20:14:24

any kumonis too much imo.
it does nothing for maths understanding/skills.

irvine101 Wed 13-Apr-16 20:15:18

I totally agree with reallytired. It's ridiculous the 5 year old have to do same sort of worksheet X 10 a day. Unless your dc loves repetition after repetition without proper understanding of what she/he is doing, it's a torture. What are you trying to achieve?

try this free website if you like.

www.khanacademy.org/math/early-math

originalmavis Wed 13-Apr-16 20:18:29

DS loves it, but he is a maths brain so enjoys doing the sheets. He's been doing it for about 5 years now and is very ahead in his maths (but as I said, he is a maths brain). He does 5 sheets a day.

RiverTam Wed 13-Apr-16 20:19:31

DD is in year one and I have never heard of kumon! But then she didn't get any homework in reception and still doesn't get much now.

LimitedSedition Wed 13-Apr-16 20:22:30

Each section is in 10 pages, and can be split into five. If your DC is still getting 10 pages a day and can't do them within 10 minutes, it's too much- which section is he on- is he doing counting, number formation, adding ones etc.

Feenie Wed 13-Apr-16 20:23:09

Why are you inflicting this on your poor child who isn't even five yet? Fgs angry

twins2004 Wed 13-Apr-16 20:28:46

Vaara Wed 13-Apr-16 20:29:23

Your poor 4 year old!

Quit with the kumon! Is there any specific reason why you are doing it?

Feenie Wed 13-Apr-16 20:32:20

Do you really think that subjecting your under 5 to endless worksheets is going to foster a love of numbers and learning?

Have a think now before you answer.

twins2004 Wed 13-Apr-16 20:34:39

originalmavis Wed 13-Apr-16 20:35:40

He might enjoy it though - DS always had a fascination with numbers and is scarily good at maths - not all the kids enjoy it though. I've seen a few tantrums and hysterics at the class. I wouldn't take DS if he didn't enjoy it.

BackforGood Wed 13-Apr-16 20:35:51

Totally agree with Feenie, Vaara and others.

ANY worksheet is too many worksheets for a 4 yr old. Poor little thing sad

originalmavis Wed 13-Apr-16 20:36:42

I dunno - my niece is 4 and does it too. Both parents are teachers.

Feenie Wed 13-Apr-16 20:37:47

What you expect? It's a primary education board dedicated to supporting parents with children's learning, not death by worksheet!

BackforGood Wed 13-Apr-16 20:40:03

You posted a question askig how many sheets was too many.
People are answering your question.

Just because it's not what you wanted to hear, doesn't mean it is wrong.

MooPointCowsOpinion Wed 13-Apr-16 20:40:54

Oh please don't kill your child's love of learning. By the time I get the kids at age 11-18 they're done in with all the boring repetition. Doing more and more won't make it any easier for him. He needs to enjoy it, and want to learn for himself, not because you're making him. At 16 when you're not sat next to him telling him what to do he won't have a clue how to motivate himself.

originalmavis Wed 13-Apr-16 20:41:37

How many questions per page?

irvine101 Wed 13-Apr-16 20:41:43

twins2004, my ds didn't go to Kumon but used some worksheets.(Cutting, pencil control, letter and number formations) They are good in some way, but only if done it properly at child's own pace. You can buy workbooks online as well. (amazon,etc.)
If your dc is distressed, it's a quite clear sign it's too much. There are lots of other ways you can help your dc. My ds is in Yr3, and there are 3 children in his class who does Kumon. Non of them are even close to my ds's level.(Even they started it when they are 4) It doesn't teach your dc to think, but just make them quick at calculations.

twins2004 Wed 13-Apr-16 20:41:57

LimitedSedition Wed 13-Apr-16 20:44:03

Honestly, I'd take the lead and split them yourself this week, the Kumkn tutor really ought to listen. Any more than 10 minutes is wasted time, it needs to be focussed, productive work. in my opinion, three days of five page booklets completed well within 10 minutes far outweighs a week's worth of 10 page booklets completed within 20. It's about the concentration as much as the actual maths. My DD does Kumon as she got really behind one year- it's bought her on really well- both maths and English. Also, I help out with the marking and I can see how other children progress. It seems expensive and a lot of work, but for us it's been worth it.

titchy Wed 13-Apr-16 20:47:20

You asked how many Kumon sheets posters' kids did age 4. The answer is zero. There is good reason for that. He is 4 and you are in danger of putting him off learning forever.

There is no benefit to making a four year old do worksheets. Take him swimming, play football with him, expose him to classical music, take him to the theatre, read to him, go to museums, have play dates. Educating a child is a marathon through all sorts of different environments, not a sprint on a tread mill.

Feenie Wed 13-Apr-16 20:49:12

You posted that your under 5 was struggling to complete 20 pages of Maths worksheets.

If it was Reception homework, posters would be horrified - it goes against everything that we know is good practice in Maths teaching in Reception.

You still haven't answered my question:

Do you think that subjecting your under 5 to endless worksheets is going to foster a love of numbers and learning?

irvine101 Wed 13-Apr-16 20:53:06

Op, Feenie and BackforGood are very experienced and established posters. I find your attitude very rude. If you think Kumon is answer for everything, go for it, it's your child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now