Advanced search

Is there a nervously awaiting primary admissions thread?

(536 Posts)
drspouse Thu 07-Apr-16 11:32:30

Or have I just started the first one?

Greentriangle82 Thu 07-Apr-16 11:59:32

I think you may have just made one I can't find any others? Nervous here, got 3 prefernces. Have not put my nearest ( failing) school so hoping we get any of the 3 have put. How about you?

drspouse Thu 07-Apr-16 12:10:04

We have two very very close but one has multiple strikes against it so we didn't put it down at all. We've put Lovely School first which is our third closest and our neighbour's DCs go there but our other neighbour didn't get in last year.
The second Close School is second but I'm very nervous about it as our DS is adopted (and they seemed a bit clueless about that) and also very very easily distracted (and Reception is manic, unlike Lovely School where it was calm).
And finally Faraway School is third, it's also calm, though bigger than Lovely School and though it's on the way to my work it really is far for things like playdates.

drspouse Thu 07-Apr-16 12:10:54

(We also have 3, obviously. Have entered into correspondence with the school admissions team about his status, it's complicated as he was adopted from overseas and we don't automatically get priority).

MrsBungle Thu 07-Apr-16 12:12:14

I'll join. V anxious! I'm not sure what my plan will be if ds doesn't get into ds's school - we are not in catchment and they've reduced the intake by 15 since dd started.

drspouse Thu 07-Apr-16 12:14:08

We don't have fixed catchments here hence one neighbour getting in to Lovely School and their literal next door neighbour not getting in another year. Obviously the first lot's DC2 is a sibling but I think it's only 1 year (maybe 2) between that DC and the other DC that didn't get in.

What's the priority order for your DD's school MrsBungle?

Gizlotsmum Thu 07-Apr-16 12:19:50

We've gone out of catchment but hoping to get in on siblings, however last year was over subscribed and just went to that criteria... Stressed is not the word second choice is v small intake and catchment school is a death wish

MrsBungle Thu 07-Apr-16 12:26:33

Not having fixed catchments must make it extra anxious!

Ds will be the penultimate bottom priority. It goes lac/catchment sibs/catchment/out of catchment sibs (ds)/ out if catchment

Here's hoping for all of us!

drspouse Thu 07-Apr-16 12:29:35

Do you all have a plan B/C/D?

We're planning to accept a place at either 2 or 3 (3 is huge and not oversubscribed and is also quite nice - it's just the distance), and go on the waiting list for 1. If we are near the top of the waiting list for 1 we'll just cross our fingers till the summer. Nursery say they always have people in our position, or moving house, who won't know about a place for a while, so DS won't be the only one.

If we are very far down the waiting list for 1, we'll definitely appeal (and accept 2 or 3) but we are thinking we may book nursery for the Autumn term. DS has a Spring term birthday but is quite behind on some skills and we know other families who've started Reception late - I think he'd be better off not moving schools mid-term but rather staying where he knows. Some of his room aren't going to school in September so he won't be the only one left behind.

drspouse Thu 07-Apr-16 12:30:13

Not having fixed catchments must make it extra anxious!

You're telling me! Those two families are literally next door to each other!

Chilver Thu 07-Apr-16 12:33:03

I'll join! Very nervous here. Wishing we'd put our second choice as first choice now - although the idea of actually choice in our area is laughable. If we don't get into the first three choices we'll keep her at her current private prep (she's in pre-school) which goes to y3 - but it would really stretch us financially and the local state schools are all outstanding so we'd prefer one of our state choices.

Greentriangle82 Thu 07-Apr-16 12:35:05

That does sound complicated spouse! So is your dc not classed as 'looked after'? Our 1at and 3rd prefernces are cathlolic schools ( we are catholoc) and our 2nd a 'good' state primary. There doesn't seem to be a catchment as such here it seems hit and miss year on yeae who gets in where do very nerve wracking! Good luck guys hope we all get our preffered schools

strictlylurking Thu 07-Apr-16 12:35:56

I'm in! DS1 is my first so I kind of feel like I really don't have any idea what I'm doing. Our area doesn't appear to have catchments, at least not as far as I can ascertain, but there are really only two primary schools here (live in a pretty small place). First School is literally across the street from us, quite diverse and seems quite laid back. Second School is about 5 streets away and is much stronger on academics, but much more traditional and more strict, I think.

I'm not even sure which school I prefer, I'd just like to know which one he's in so I can stop worrying about it.

Gizlotsmum Thu 07-Apr-16 12:36:10

If we don't get either choice we will go on waiting list and appeal for 1st ds is a November baby we can't delay him till January...which might lead to more spaces clearing

tethersend Thu 07-Apr-16 12:38:22

Fingers crossed for you drspouse smile

Did you submit the SW letter in the end?

I'm waiting for the outcome of DD2's application, but am not too nervous, as it's a sibling place and we're in catchment. But remember it well with DD1. Agonising.

drspouse Thu 07-Apr-16 12:38:46

is your dc not classed as 'looked after'?

When he came to the UK he was officially fostered as the adoption wasn't finalised yet but the LEA are refusing to admit that this means he gets priority.

Sounds like yours is distance based Green and strictly like ours.

Giz you can delay till Jan as his school starting date is the term after turning 5. Just not beyond that with a Nov birthday.

drspouse Thu 07-Apr-16 12:39:57

Tethers thanks for remembering, the SW letter has been written and we've corrected it and I'm waiting for her to tell me if she's sent it!

If we are appealing, I think we will need to get our MP on board.

I do think it's more agonising with a DC1. Though of course I have nothing to compare!

MrsBungle Thu 07-Apr-16 12:44:49

I don't really have a plan b. Our school is 45 intake with 2 teachers and no mixed classes in ks1 so I would consider appealing as I think it wouldn't be infant class size.

When I applied for dc1, my friends I took national offer day off work and met in the pub! We've done the same this year as our dc2's are the same age!

Gizlotsmum Thu 07-Apr-16 12:50:51

I think I was more stressed with dc1 but dc2 not getting in means I would need to be in 2 places at once or dc1 would need to do 5 days breakfast club...

Greentriangle82 Thu 07-Apr-16 12:52:36

That's rubbish of them spouse! Hopefully he will get your first preference.
We would happily accept any of our 3 preferences,if we don't get any of those we would appeal or research where does have places . Our eldest went to a primary school 3 miles away which was fine we are willing and able to travel. Does anyone know will we get the email midnight next Friday? Or with it being the weekend will it not be until the Monday?

Gizlotsmum Thu 07-Apr-16 12:54:17

Drspouse that's good to know

drspouse Thu 07-Apr-16 12:55:28

I am pretty sure it depends on your LEA. Some do it in batches, some online first, some by post, but I think it's supposed to START at midnight Thursday?

Gizlotsmum Thu 07-Apr-16 12:56:23

We find out on the 18th so the Monday

drspouse Thu 07-Apr-16 12:57:12

Oops sorry midnight Friday. Nobody is sitting there sending emails though.

drspouse Thu 07-Apr-16 13:00:03

Ours says by email on the 16th or check online. So like other places have been I imagine they we'll go out in batches from midnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now