pros and cons of moving school in year 3 / year 4(14 Posts)
Hi all, my DS is year 3, one of the youngest in his class. He's in a really nice school, well settled with lots of friends & happy. He's an only child.
We have however recently moved to a new area and there are some decent schools nearby. The plus with moving him would be that we would avoid the 30-40 min commute (each way) to take him to school / pick him up. The minus of course that it would unsettled him / upset him.
What do you think? Have you had good / bad experiences moving a child at this age & also how hard the in year school admissions process is usually?
No direct relevant experience.
In DD's class children have come and gone throughout primary. After 1 term it is impossible to tell who the newer kids are.
Personally I would move sooner rather than later to help him settle in to new area, make friends, avoid commute etc. If he can move during the summer term he'll have made friends ready for the summer holidays.
How easy/hard depends on wait lists. You need to look round schools, decide your favourite(s) see if they have spaces and apply and move / go on wait list.
We are about to do just this but are in the early stages and haven't put the house on the market. We are looking at a move to a different LEA altogether so the journey would be difficult.
The difference is that we are not 100% happy with current school and although DS has friends in school time friendhsip opportunities are rare outside school hours. We also want to move to avoid being in catchment for the local secondary as it's straight inadequate all round.
I also have experience myself being moved around this age and although it was unsettling at first I soon made friends and remember having a good social life (in fact great).
There have also been kids come and go in DS class and they are all made to feel welcome.
Lots join our school at all levels and all settle within a few weeks if not less. Upside is settling them in local school before move to local high school with new friends
I'm in a similar situation. I'm waiting for the primary school results this April for my youngest DD. Sadly our boundaries changed and we are no longer in the catchment for my eldest DDs school. I'm hoping by some luck we get in, but last 2 years no one outside catchment has got a place. The waiting list is insane.
My eldest DD is year 3 and is the youngest in the school year. A day later would have changed that. She's very sensitive and likes where she is. However I cannot do two separate school runs. We can't pay extra childcare/ club costs, so I'm stuck moving my eldest and sending youngest to a school that is ten miles away to get them both into the same school. That's the closest I can get. I'm really worried about the impact it will have on DD by moving. However my youngest won't cope well without her big sister either.
No idea what's the best option. I feel trapped really. Maybe over worrying, but it's a difficult decision I'm sure many make.
3 and a half years is a long time to keep that commute up until secondary!
Unless you are in a first/ middle/ upper system, then I would move now.
My dd moved in year four. She's fine. She misses her friends but she's made new ones. She still talks to her old friends on FaceTime.
It would be even easier for your ds to make the transition as he could still see the friends from his old school. You could do some after school activities in that area.
It's nice to hear where moves have had positive outcomes.
I'm pretty certain it's going to happen. Looking at results the last 5 years (geeky I know) we won't get anything any closer that takes both, even if my eldest didn't move, I have a significant commute to take youngest to the next nearest school. Plus childcare on top.
I'm trying to prepare eldest moving. From what I've read, most agree moving year 3/4 are the best years to do it.
We moved and the school commute is now 40 mins by bus + walk instead of 15 mins walk. Quite inconvenient, but the school is good and therefore I do not want to change. DC are in Y3 and Reception. Maybe not the most practical decision but we continue to commute while it is bearable.
The plus point is that once DC1 is in secondary his commute should be 20 mins walk. If we did not move that would have been about 1 hour by 2 buses or similar.
Lotty 10 miles is a huge commute surely for little ones? No friends will be close by etc. Two schools is not uncommon near us and people find ways to make it work.
It is along way, but I've timed the drive and its under 25 - 30mins. (Traffic goes opposite way and it's a straight road at national speed) I'd be sat in traffic longer trying to get to our catchment school.
The high school is that way also, so once eldest moves up, it won't change much.
We can't see any other option working. Cannot entertain any extra payments for things.
Plus we live close to her existing friends. It wouldn't be too much of a problem I don't think.
It is rather daunting though.
DS moved in year 3 just after Xmas. He's absolutely thrived in the new school, no problems with the transition, friends etc.
Lotty What about your youngest and the petrol costs of that commute?
Thanks all for your thoughts. DS is on spring break now and yesterday he and I took a walk around our new neighbourhood and we 'accidentally' (!) walked by one of the local schools. The gates were open, we walked in and DS really liked the school. We then had a 'general' conversation about the whole thing and I was surprised by how positive he sounded at the scenario / possibility of changing schools. Perhaps I'm the one that's more emotional about it... Although I'm sure it's a different story when the move is impending! Anyway, DH and I will visit the local schools right after spring break and see.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.