Talk

Advanced search

Glasgow Schools (Primary)

(5 Posts)
jwl123 Wed 30-Mar-16 11:07:29

I just got word that DH has a job op up in Glasgow and thinking about taking it. So it means another move for us!
I have been on the Scottish Education websites, wikipedia, but I'm still a little bamboozled with school years compared to the English system. So, I'm hoping that someone here will be able to help me out. My eldest was born Jul 2010 and is currently in Yr1, so does that mean that he'll go into Primary 2 in the Scottish system in August 2016? My middle child was born at the end of Aug 2012 and is currently in nursery. Does this mean she'll still be in nursery and not attend Primary 1 until August 2017?

Also, if that's the case where my eldest is in Yr1 and goes into Primary 2, does this mean that he'll repeat what he learned from the English system? I think he would be bored out of his mind! LOL.

I might as well ask about good primary schools/areas to research on. I know everyone has an opinion. smile My DH's office will be in Clydesbank, so anything approx 30 mins away by bike would be great! We would be looking to rent for the time being.

A huge TIA!

TheTroubleWithAngels Wed 30-Mar-16 18:04:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FedUpWithJudgementalPeople Wed 30-Mar-16 19:18:22

I'm not sure about specific schools but I would say Bearsden is much nicer than Clydebank and will have better schools.
Also Kelvindale and Anniesland are nice areas.

Euphemia Thu 31-Mar-16 03:57:30

You could also look at Renfrewshire, across the Erskine Bridge from Clydebank.

Good primary schools in places like Langbank, Bishopton, Houston, Bridge of Weir. Those last two are feeder schools for Gryffe High School, which performs well.

Just come prepared for rain. A lot of rain. grin

glasg0wmum Thu 31-Mar-16 18:48:43

I live in Bearsden and it's lovely. We're 10 minutes from Clydebank by road and the schools here are excellent, both Primary and Secondary. Milngavie is nice too.

I wouldn't worry too much about repeating stuff, as other posters have said there will be a big range of ages and abilities within any class and a teacher will accommodate that. My eldest was reading fluently when he went to school and that was catered for without any problem - plus easing off a wee bit on the academics will let them make friends and settle in. Also bear in mind that instead of being the youngest in his year, your August born child will be around the middle of his school year instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now