Primary schools and 11 plus

(14 Posts)
Happyrouter Tue 29-Mar-16 15:42:48

Is a child's primary school informed if a child at the school takes the 11 plus test? I think I want my son to take the test but I'm not actually sure I want to go that route. Als there has been a lot of gossip I've heard about the current year six children and how many passed/failed and this massively puts me off.

If it helps anyone answer, the school is out of area and we are talking about the Kent Test.

Anyone know?

Thanks

BertrandRussell Tue 29-Mar-16 15:47:56

I don't know how out of area candidates are dealt with - but schools certainly ought to keep the results confidential whatever.

Check about your chances of getting a place though. Most Kent grammars have quite tight catchment areas, unless you're talking about the super selective so.

PerspicaciaTick Tue 29-Mar-16 15:50:35

When DD did the Essex 11+ there was a tickbox on the application form saying whether or not you wanted the school informed of results.
I suspect playground conversations about passing/failing are coming from the children and their parents rather than the school.

Happyrouter Tue 29-Mar-16 15:53:50

Bertrand yes I've done my research, place is unlikely but not impossible. Not sure I even want place for him but if he scores highly enough to get the place maybe it is right for him. Don't know how I feel tbh

spanieleyes Tue 29-Mar-16 16:21:09

In my area the tests are held IN the primary schools so we need to know exactly who is sitting it, we get to know the results the day before the parents are informed but are not able to discuss them until the parents/children tell us they know!

Washediris Tue 29-Mar-16 16:44:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Thethingswedoforlove Tue 29-Mar-16 16:58:02

He results of those who take the Kent test are sent to the achools two weeks before parents find out to provide an opportunity for head teachers to appeal. So they would definitely know and the score. But they wd be obliged not to tell anyone.

Dungandbother Tue 29-Mar-16 19:24:17

Knowing my geography of Kent, you're likely looking at Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells area or Dartford.
Both areas take highest scoring papers. They are mostly super selective schools.
Or Medway who have their own 11+. But it is possible to get into other area grammars from Medway such as Maidstone or Gravesend.

I would tell the school. You need their back up for any appeal.
Kent have a three way pass mark.
VR, NVR and Maths. You need a pass in all three. If the VR or Maths falls below then your head can appeal on child's behalf before the results are announced. Assuming of course their school books show the correct level of attainment.

PettsWoodParadise Tue 29-Mar-16 19:56:13

The school will be told the result as the Kent test have something called the Headteacher's review which Dung refers to above, where the Head sees the results two weeks before parents get them. This is to allow for any who failed to get a recommendation from the Head for a pass if it was very out of the ordinary. So the school will find out. DD was in a local prep with a senior school option and I know it was awkward for some parents as they were sometimes doing the tests with the current school as a back up if they didn't get into a grammar or would use a grammar result to angle for a scholarship so it can get all a bit awkward. DD sat for Kent, Bexley and Bromley last September so if you have specific questions do just PM me or if likely to benefit all then so ask here. I would also recommend the elevenplusforum as a great mine of information.

Happyrouter Tue 29-Mar-16 20:39:58

Thanks all, so looks like it varies from school to school then. Yes dung the once I'm looking at take highest scores outside of catchment. I genuinely don't know whether he would get the required score for a place, he's a bit difficult to predict on that front.

I would not be needing schools support on an appeal as I wouldn't be interested in appealing. Basically, if he's not bright enough, or hot housed enough to get the required score then I don't think I want him in that environment, personal decision but for him and his personality I wouldn't want to pressure push him beyond his natural capabilities.

Thanks for all replies, all are much appreciated.

Happyrouter Tue 29-Mar-16 20:43:29

Just seen your message petts, so the variation depends on test rather than school then? No was only planning on doing kent test, not the bexley. Whats the Bromley test? I wasn't aware of that one? Which schools does that cover?

PettsWoodParadise Tue 29-Mar-16 22:08:57

In Bromley there are the two superselective schools of Newstead Woods for girls and St Olaves for boys. Both are actually located in Orpington. For St Olaves you can live anywhere and take the test. For Newstead you need to be within a 9 mile radius when you register for test (around June time). Some people make the mistake these schools are in Kent but as they are Bromley Borough they are not covered by the Kent test. St Olaves has mock tests run by the PTA. The real test is in two stages, over 1000 (I don't know the real numbers I've heard of figures of between 1.200 and 1,500) boys sit the first stage and then the top 400 go onto the second stage in a hope for one of the 124 places. The Newstead teststhst DD sat were thankfully not so complicated!

MumTryingHerBest Tue 29-Mar-16 22:16:58

These forums may help:

www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewforum.php?f=19

www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewforum.php?f=51

Happyrouter Wed 30-Mar-16 12:47:44

Ok thanks Petts, I know all about st olaves and that they have their own test, I thought you meant a Bromley test. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now