Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where to start with translations/rotations etc?

(10 Posts)
Cagliostro Mon 28-Mar-16 12:19:31

DS (6, probably with ASD, home ed) is obsessed with Transformers. Anything that seems vaguely like transforming something (like origami as we discovered this morning grin), he is pretty much guaranteed to be interested in it. Mentioned that there's a type of maths called transformations and he was really excited. But beyond getting some worksheets I'm not really sure if there's a good way to introduce the subject? If anyone has any ideas for books, activities etc I'd be very grateful! smile

spanieleyes Mon 28-Mar-16 12:53:47

www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/transformations.html is a good place to start. It has explanations, interactive activities, questions etc.

Cagliostro Mon 28-Mar-16 12:59:01

Ah, that's fab. Thank you smile

irvine101 Mon 28-Mar-16 21:15:16

He may like this too!

www.khanacademy.org/math/math-for-fun-and-glory/puzzles/transformation-puzzles/e/transformation-puzzles

irvine101 Mon 28-Mar-16 21:21:25

And this is more proper tutrials

www.khanacademy.org/math/geometry/transformations

irvine101 Mon 28-Mar-16 21:49:24

tutorial!

Cagliostro Mon 28-Mar-16 21:52:08

Lovely, thank you - I'd heard of KA but assumed it was one of those expensive subscription type things. But it seems I was wrong! grin

irvine101 Mon 28-Mar-16 21:54:50

No, it's completely free. My logic loving ds loves doodling in maths too.

Cagliostro Mon 28-Mar-16 22:12:03

I think my DS is quite logical as well. He's catching up pretty well with the basics (he was unable to access most of the curriculum at school as he could barely talk, but that's all improved dramatically since we deregistered him a year ago) and his brain seems to work like mine (maths/logic type stuff = smile social skills = confused) grin

The website looks great, I've signed both DCs up for it. smile

irvine101 Fri 01-Apr-16 23:39:15

Glad you like the site. Hope dcs are enjoying it. Partner content and computer programming are great too.

Found few more on transformation.

www.mathplayground.com/reflect_and_rotate.html

www.mathplayground.com/ShapeMods/ShapeMods.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now