Swim badges - ideas to display/keep ?

(31 Posts)
BeaLola Mon 21-Mar-16 08:36:31

Posting for traffic - DS has some swimming badges and gym badges - apart from perhaps keeping in an album of some sort how do you display/ keep yours ? Don't want to sew onto his trunks or a towel - looking for some ideas really, thank you.

noramum Mon 21-Mar-16 10:08:59

I don't display any unless it is her riding badges which go on her jumper as it is a display of skills some of the teacher don't know DD has if she doesn't get her usual instructor. And the jumper is on the large side as she wears body protector underneath.

Otherwise we would drown in badges, she currently gets 3 a year from swimming, she is swimming for nearly 6 years now. I deal with all kind of awards, they may go on her display magnetic board for a couple of days and then get filed.

StuffEverywhere Mon 21-Mar-16 10:25:18

I sew them on on their bathrobes and they are very proud of them.

Smoothyloopy Mon 21-Mar-16 10:42:47

I sew them on their swimming towels

Starman16 Mon 21-Mar-16 10:48:42

What about a camp type blanket like you would for Scouts/Guides? Won't be outgrown, can use for picnics etc.

mawbroon Mon 21-Mar-16 10:59:48

I pin them on the curtains in the kids' room.

Chalk2000 Mon 21-Mar-16 12:25:51

Bath robe !

blearynweary Mon 21-Mar-16 12:27:53

I sew them onto a towel, sorry :-)

They don't get that many badges from swimming do they? Mine got about 9 iirc (one for each stage of ASA)

noramum Mon 21-Mar-16 12:40:26

DD gets one each term (if she qualifies), her swim school alternates between skill awards and distant awards, they follow the STA scheme. In the 5.5 years she accumulated around 16 badges (3 per year)

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Mon 21-Mar-16 12:44:25

I use a blanket courtesy of primark. I've also sewn on school crests (taken from tatty school sweaters), badges from various tourist attractions, other sports badges.... keeps them altogether, and unlike a towel, it'll last (I've still got my guide blanket which has all my brownie and guide badges on, together with swimming and other sports badges).

blearynweary Mon 21-Mar-16 12:49:07

I love the blanket idea!

TeenAndTween Mon 21-Mar-16 13:11:28

I sew them on to DD's swim towel. She has gone across the top and the bottom, and is now going down one of the sides. I only expect 1 more badge though as I expect her to stop lessons in the summer.

onelasttrythenimout Mon 21-Mar-16 13:30:15

I don't know if this is a good idea for you but we went to ikea and grabbed some of the box picture frames to display Dc's badges etc from over the years.

Housemum Mon 21-Mar-16 13:47:58

We have blankets - some tourist attractions still do cloth badges too, so we try and add to the collection.

If you want a non-sewing idea, maybe you could get some slip-in photo-pockets or similar (Places like 7dayshop.com sell that sort of thing) to put in a ring binder. Or you could just keep the certificate and badge together in a punched pocket in a ring binder.

QuiteQuietly Mon 21-Mar-16 16:01:47

We buy cheap A4-sized frames and put the certificate and badge together in the frame and hang them in DCs bedrooms. We put anything at all up - swimming, school awards, crappy printout from holiday club for helping to build cardboard box pirate ship. It's nice for them to feel proud of their achievements and they get a bit of attention when we frame and hang the new award. I tend to bin the discarded award, but I am not sentimental and keep very little. As they progress through life, some of the less significant awards are taken down to make space. They have cubs/guides blankets as well for old badges and visitor patches, but I've never thought about sticking the swimming ones on there too. I think you can get badge glue if you are not a sewer. Or encourage DC to DIY.

Mavey9 Mon 21-Mar-16 16:27:15

Swimming bag for us.

RueDeWakening Mon 21-Mar-16 22:18:17

Camp blanket! I have one with my Guide badges and the badges I've done with my Rainbow unit as well as random other ones, my oldest 2 will start their blankets fairly soon with Beaver, Brownie, swimming etc badges.

pussinwellyboots Mon 21-Mar-16 23:02:27

Each of my boys have a blanket - made from a length of printed fleece in a fun design from the craft shop and blanket stitched around the edge. All of their badges go on there.

TheSpottedZebra Mon 21-Mar-16 23:05:35

Mine have a (quiet cheap) hoodie/trackie top that they wear post - swimming, and the badges are sewn on the arms. I bought quite big.

LBOCS2 Mon 21-Mar-16 23:08:47

I had a poncho for camping which had all my badges on. I knew a few people who had them on their swimming towels though.

Bounced Tue 22-Mar-16 12:18:42

Mine each have a wall hanging with a picture that has spaces for badges (eg wheels on bus left for badges, or the centre of a flower) and we add badges on as they get them. They're a bit like those calendars made of material:
www.amazon.co.uk/My-Calendar-Blue-Wall-Hanging/dp/B00062RV6I

This is all granny's work, not mine!

sportinguista Tue 22-Mar-16 12:22:51

I sew all onto a Portugal football scarf (DH is Portuguese so DS supports), all his 100% attendance all sorts of prizes. Then he can keep it all together and it makes a nice keepsake too.

LBOCS2 I had a poncho too but they were more fashionable back then than they are now and it's bit girly!

MarvinKMooney Tue 22-Mar-16 22:53:06

I put the DCs badges on fleece blankets too - swimming, beavers, random places we have visited. Looks very colourful! Picked up the blankets very cheaply in Ikea.

MarvinKMooney Tue 22-Mar-16 22:54:17

Should say: I sew on the beavers badges that don't go on the uniform! The uniform isn't entirely badge free ...

aurorie11 Tue 22-Mar-16 22:59:43

I've sewn kids ones on to an old sunsuit (with arms and legs so plenty of space); there's at least 15 on the eldests with plenty more space. I'm sewing them on the back and front

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now