Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Godalming after the usual school application deadline.

(5 Posts)
Luwa Fri 18-Mar-16 12:57:39

Hi,
We are hoping to move to Godalming from SE London over the summer and to start new schools in Sep. My girls are currently in reception and year 2 ( so we would be applying for year 1 and year 3 places) at an outstanding school ( so feeling v nervous!). Moving for a general improvement in space and Quality of life etc. I have contacted schools admissions who say we can apply for year 3 places even with a London address ( although my thinking is that if all schools are over subscribed then we would only get placed on a waiting list and be right at the bottom of the list!) and would have to make an in year application for our youngest in June. We havent found a house yet but aiming to live within walking distance of Godalming or Farncombe station. I don think at this stage that our address will have much impact on which school we get allocated? Does anyone have any experience of having done this and have any advice or when to do what? I want the kids to finish their year at their current school ( until end of July) but cant work out then how we get places at a different school! As school admissions seem to shut over the summer ? I also have the list of number of places offered in 2015 for all schools in Waverley. I can see the schools that were less subscribed ( largely Green Oak School). I have seen other threads with positive experiences of this school and so wondering whether it makes sense to apply to schools which are less likely to be over subscribed ( in order to make sure we dont get sent to a school on the other side of the district) or whether we should hold out for other schools...just in case? Basically, i feel like im floundering and any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Tanith Sat 19-Mar-16 10:04:12

If you are looking for Y1 and Y3, you'll need to apply direct to the school: it's called an In Year transfer, even though you'd be starting in September. Give the school a ring and they'll explain the procedure and arrange a visit for you.

We have been looking at Green Oak ourselves for our own DD and I am very impressed with what I've seen. I've lived in the area for over 20 years and it has had its ups and downs but so has every other school in Godalming. A few years ago it was Moss Lane - current flavour of the month. Now it seems to be Milford. I can't understand the silly prejudice against Green Oak, but it does mean they have class sizes and facilities that compare favourably to the private schools smile

Luwa Sun 20-Mar-16 12:00:17

Thanks Tanith for taking the time to reply. I will have to go and visit and will get in touch with the school directly re In Year transfers. So much to think about! I would much rather get a less popular school in Godalming than a less popular school miles away! Good to read another positive post about the school. Thank again. L

Tanith Sun 20-Mar-16 16:22:06

Glad I could help. PM me if I can help further - I'm a childminder and I've worked with a lot of the schools, private and state.

blaeberry Sun 20-Mar-16 17:10:15

Not in the area but just wanted to say that it can take years and years for reputation to catch up with reality. Visit schools and speak to current parents. Ofsted can be equally misleading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now