Not sure if I need to be concerned re. phonics test

(23 Posts)
MrsD16 Fri 18-Mar-16 11:50:52

Hi all I was just wondering if anyone can help me, I had parents evening for my daughters this week and my dd2's teacher commented that she didn't think she was going to pass the phonics test in June (we already know she has some issues with reading etc) but I just wondered if anyone knows what happens if a child fails the phonics test?

Thanks

easydiy Fri 18-Mar-16 11:58:53

Hi, If you Dd is in year 1 she will be re-tested in year 2. She will be given additional phonics support in that time. If she is in year 2 then I will be watching with interest to see what happens because I suspect my Dd is about to do the same.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 18-Mar-16 12:18:09

Hopefully, she'll be given additional reading support to help with her phonics.

What are they doing now? Seems odd to identify an issue with a child now but need to wait for the results of the 'official' test to give additional help. They've obviously already identified the problems that test is supposed to identify.

MrsD16 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:17:41

Hi thanks for replies

She is year 1, I think what concerns me most is that in reception she was placed in a phonics group once a week, and then this year she was added to another so she attends two phonics group a week and her teacher mentioned she also has some 1 to 1 help once a week with phonics yet they still think she is going to fail the phonics test

Her teacher also mentioned she needs quite a bit of support with regular school work as well and that she thought she was quite young for her age (she's a may baby so young but not the youngest)

easydiy Fri 18-Mar-16 13:27:19

So there is already quite a bit of intervention going on already. Its always said that Dc learn at different rates, she may just click one day and surprise you all. In the meantime hows her eye sight and hearing?

MrsD16 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:33:17

That's the view I had about it all, that they all get there at different rates and I just figured she'd get there eventually but this has thrown me a little, we have bad eyesight in the family both myself and my hubby have bad eyesight, our eldest also wears glasses and dd2 is under the same team as her sister at the hospital and has regular check ups but so far they don't feel she needs them, she is due to have a hearing assessment on 7th April so will know more then

BeautyQueenFromMars Fri 18-Mar-16 13:35:26

DS and around half his classmates failed the phonics test in YR1. They all passed in YR2. Don't worry about it too much, she's only young and she'll learn when she's ready.

AuntieStella Fri 18-Mar-16 13:41:37

Think of it as a screening, not a test.

Even before she has taken it, she is receiving extra support. If the screening shows she still needs more time/support to become confident, she should continue to revive it.

And that really is all there is to it (or should be all there is to it).

thisismypassword Fri 18-Mar-16 14:51:24

I wouldn't worry about her birthday. I think people put too much emphasis on it and perhaps use it as an excuse. I'm a May baby and never really struggled apart from maths. I know loads of June, July and August people who are much more intelligent and successful than me.

mrz Fri 18-Mar-16 18:29:56

If a child doesn't achieve the required score the school should provide additional support to help them catch up. If used correctly the screening check should help the teacher to identify gaps in the child's phonic knowledge and skills.
The problem is that they only have to achieve the expected level of a child a year younger so could still be working a year behind their peers.

spanieleyes Fri 18-Mar-16 18:57:00

DS and around half his classmates failed the phonics test in YR1.

Good Lord!

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 18-Mar-16 19:06:02

I was hoping that 1/2 that class had joined about 3 weeks prior to the test, spaniel eyes.

It does sound like the OP's school might be fairly switched on though if she's already receiving additional help with phonics. Although with 3 different phonics groups, there might be an issue with consistency.

ChalkHearts Sat 19-Mar-16 08:03:22

I would expect daily phonics lessons, not once a week.

I think you need to teach her at home. I'd start with 'dancing bears' (http://www.soundfoundations.co.uk/)

mrz Sat 19-Mar-16 16:28:56

MrsD are these phonics groups in addition to normal phonics teaching or the only phonics input she has received?

Paperm0ver Sat 19-Mar-16 17:57:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sat 19-Mar-16 18:04:33

The lowest I think I've ever seen is 29%. I have no idea how that's even possible unless you have a very turnover of children.

Given the national rate is still fairly low, and started at 54%, and there are a number of schools that do very well i.e. 90%+ there are probably a significant number of schools with results around the 50% mark or lower.

I'd love to know the distribution of results. I suspect they aren't tightly clustered around the national average.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sat 19-Mar-16 18:04:56

a very high turnover

Gobbolino6 Sat 19-Mar-16 18:30:50

Are the three phonics sessions extra for those needing support, or is that it? I ask because at my 6yos' school the whole class has had daily phonics sessions in small groups throughout the whole of YR and Y1.

MrsD16 Sat 19-Mar-16 18:40:23

Hi, the phonics sessions are extra for those needing support

She has slight speech issues which we believe may be the cause and we are currently in the process for trying to get her help though we were told her speech is still within guidelines so no intervention necessary but after speaking to the deputy head she has printed off speech therapy referral forms for me to fill in and then they'll get the ball rolling for me and we have a hearing assessment in place for next month

Like I said I was aware she had some issues reading etc but just thought that in time it would all come together but with her teacher saying she thinks she'll fail the phonics test I think it's just highlighted to me how much assistance she needs and has thrown me

Paperm0ver Sat 19-Mar-16 18:41:20

Paperm0ver Sat 19-Mar-16 18:43:35

ChalkHearts Sun 20-Mar-16 06:20:01

Speech issues shouldn't be the cause.

She should be marked correct if she says something on the test in her normal way of pronouncing it. Eg if she has a lisp and always says s instead of f than she wouldn't get marked down for pronouncing like that in the test.

Equally regional accents wouldn't get marked down for pronouncing words differently.

I would really be looking at the teaching before assuming your DD was the problem.

Ferguson Sun 20-Mar-16 19:53:17

UNDERSTANDING Phonics is important, and this will help a bit:

An inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics, is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’ and my name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now